Default Windows 7 OpenVPN with Domain Login Support

If you've setup your OpenVPN service properly, with the DNS exports. The only thing left to supporting domain auth over the VPN link is having that VPN link online when you login. Fortunately, OpenVPN gives us a service, that can start on boot to do this. The only downside? It only works when the unit is hard wired to a network, no wireless.

Well unless you've got one of those Intel Wireless jobs with all the hackery to get it to connect to a specified network on boot. But I digress.

Install the OpenVPN client as normal, please use admin rights. Then drop to a command prompt and run the following commands.

sc config openvpnservice start= auto
    sc start openvpnservice

Please note the space between start= and auto. It's important.

The first command configures the service to start automatically, the next simply starts the service. You can do all of this via the service.msc snapin if you want as well.

Now, if I can just figure out why my VPN DNS override works on this server but not the other one...

Incidentally I think sc is my new favorite command line tool on MS platforms.
    Funtangler likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Very cool. Thanks for the info!

Thank you for sharing this, I'll definitely try this out.

so what if you have multiple vpn configs, how can you choose which one to log into on autostart
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

You don't, the service will load the first config it sees. If you need multiple connect, you're stuck working with cached credentials.

Besides this is for AD support over a client vpn. When was the last time your workstation was a member of more than 1 domain?
    Scott B likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com