Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Untangle by its nature has a tendency to slow network communications. The additional ms of delay introduced by speed step could be just enough to cause a timeout, that will at best lead to connection sluggishness and at worst lead to connection failures.

This sort of stuff is crazy intermittent, and a nightmare to troubleshoot. If you're in for the rough ride and just want to know, go for it. For me, I'll just concentrate on my customers' needs and trust Untangle to do that level of performance testing. As I said before I believe these features are active by default in Squeeze. So we'll find out soon enough if they help or hurt, or are a complete wash.
    SpeedStep operates at the nanosecond range... network communication occurs at the millisecond range. For a lightly loaded server, it might not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
    This discussion is based on an assumption that making these changes will conserve energy. Has this theory been tested and a benefit demonstrated? If not, we are discussing conjecture.
    If this does in fact enable SpeedStep, then there is no conjecture. Clock governing/gating is pretty much implemented on every modern CPU.

Power Consumption = C*f*V^2

SpeedStep lowers both the frequency and more importantly the voltage.
    jawz101 likes this.

Yes, but it doesn't in reality step back up within a nanosecond realm. Do some Googling on it. When active it does save power, but it can do so with some very odd performance problems as it relates to Untangle. More research is required, and I don't have time to do that level of testing.

I'm curious to see how it works out, but at the same time I don't want people to think this is a simple turn it on and we have power feature. It is not.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12