Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Measure throughput on the WAN interface

I haven't found anything by searching so I'll just ask here.

I think my ISP is messing with my data cap. What I mean is, all of a sudden they claim I'm sending and receiving way more data per month than normal. I haven't changed my surfing habits significantly, yet I seem to run out of data allowance much faster than I used to.

I think it may be a result of the fact that I'm on a legacy Internet plan and they would really rather have me move to a plan that costs 20 or 30 $ more per month. I've also noticed that the Internet seems to be slower responding these days.

What I would like to know is if there is a module or other way to measure exactly how many bytes go through my UT WAN interface, both inbound and outbound. Please note, I don't want just the payload; it must be the entirety of the bytes: payload, overhead, checksums, the works. I say that because I'm sure that's what my ISP will claim.

Reports -> Network -> Interface usage will show RX (received data). That report can be cloned and modified to show TX by changing the advanced setting of the report to tx_rate from rx_rate.

Network Summary will show the total bytes for a given time range.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Many thanks for the response jcoffin. I think I figured out how to clone the report (I went to Interface -> Customize and chose Save as New Report). I made the change to tx_data as you said. Now I see a lot of activity on the Internal network but virtually none on the LAN, but I guess that would make sense, since I don't send that much to the Internet.

I have 2 questions:

1) how do I specify the timeframe? What I'm looking for, of course, is the total WAN traffic for a month (since that's how my ISP calculates my cap usage).

2) How can I be sure the traffic shown in Network Summary is only the WAN traffic (i.e. doesn't include my LAN)?

The timeframe for the report can be set in the lower portion when viewing the report.
    It is not a property of the report itself.

You can add specific conditions to limit the data to your WAN.

The Network Summary report shows passed data (the sum of the bytes of all sessions crossing Untangle).
    It is NOT data sent to your WAN interfaces. It doesn't even know which of your interfaces are WANs or LANs nor how many you have.

If you can about bytes on your WAN I would use the report jcoffin suggested.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Thanks dmorris. If it's not obvious, I don't spend a lot of time working on my UT box (nor do I want to; for me it's an appliance that should sit in the corner and do its thing with little to no interference or maintenance). Back when I was a programmer I spent lots of time working with SQL and Linux, but that was more than 2 decades ago.

I did manage to set up a condition on both the TX and RX reports so they only report data from the External interface (there's only 1 external interace; it's a home setup). It took a few minutes to figure out what values it wants for the Interface_ID, but I finally figured out it's just the number of the interface. It's not exactly intuitive, but thankfully the numbers were shown beside 'External' and 'Internal'.

Now I'm trying to limit the time frame, but I'm not sure of the syntax. I wanted to get results for all of May, so I tried setting up the condition as 'timestanp' -> 'between' and entering '2017-05-01 12:00:01, 2017-05-31 23:59:59' but I got a SQL/Java error. Rather than spend several hours trying to figure it out, I was hoping you could help me out. I will likely want to be running one of these reports every month for some time.

Thanks.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Ikon View Post
    Thanks dmorris. If it's not obvious, I don't spend a lot of time working on my UT box (nor do I want to; for me it's an appliance that should sit in the corner and do its thing with little to no interference or maintenance). Back when I was a programmer I spent lots of time working with SQL and Linux, but that was more than 2 decades ago.

I did manage to set up a condition on both the TX and RX reports so they only report data from the External interface (there's only 1 external interace; it's a home setup). It took a few minutes to figure out what values it wants for the Interface_ID, but I finally figured out it's just the number of the interface. It's not exactly intuitive, but thankfully the numbers were shown beside 'External' and 'Internal'.

Now I'm trying to limit the time frame, but I'm not sure of the syntax. I wanted to get results for all of May, so I tried setting up the condition as 'timestanp' -> 'between' and entering '2017-05-01 12:00:01, 2017-05-31 23:59:59' but I got a SQL/Java error. Rather than spend several hours trying to figure it out, I was hoping you could help me out. I will likely want to be running one of these reports every month for some time.

Thanks.
    Doesn't Untangle just keep data for a week by default, so maybe you don't have the data for that date range anymore.

Untangler

Thanks iandrews. You're probably right; I simply don't know what data UT keeps. In any case, I can't really find out what data is available because I don't know the date-time format to use in the query.

ps. if UT does only keep 1 week's data I would simply have to record the throughput once a week: not ideal, but certainly do-able (once I know the date-time format that is

Master Untangler

The amount of data it keeps is configurable - it is just 7 days by default. Many people change that to something longer to make reporting and investigations easier.

Untangler

Thanks JasonJoel. That would be easier for sure.

Untangler

I've had a look around, and done some online searching, but I haven't found anything yet on where & how to change the data capture timeframe. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast