Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's what I do in my SOHO as well, but layers of defense I believe your best protection, because any one will fail you...
    My paranoia: I own my cable modem, run as a standard Windows user (not an administrator), use MVPS HOSTS file, use uBlock Origin and Ghostery Extension's in my browsers, and run EMET (which I understand will be added to Win10 this fall).
    I'm very concerned with our growing dependence on the endpoint security software for protection, as more of the interweb is taking advantage of encryption. Thank UT for SSL Inspector!
    Untangle is and has been a God send to me for years (I think ver. 6). FWIW, I currently have 4 separate LAN subnets, and I'm very troubled with IoT and currently have devices I don't control (e.g., Roku, etc.) on a separate subnet...
    While I'm a huge advocate of TNO as much as it can be employed, internet security is an example where I'm more comfortable trusting the collective then any single sentinel.
    Oh, and my biggest fear is the State...
    Last edited by f1assistance; 06-29-2017 at 03:36 AM.
    Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yes you'll see them, just go to https://business.avast.com and setup an account. The basic managed antivirus client, with no firewall, VPN, or anything else, is free. I've got over 300 seats installed, I pay nothing...
    Perfect, thanks.
    Lonnie, in Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, a Firefighter to the Core (i7)
    SysAdmin - KauffmansFruitFarm.com
    CEO - KauffmanTreats

Of security things to come...

"Announcing end-to-end security features in Windows 10"
    https://blogs.windows.com/business/2...qezU3GGF7rA.97
    Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Master Untangler

is avast for business still free? I use it for my own computers and at several sites, but the last time I tried to set someone up with it, no matter what I clicked or looked for I appeared to have only a 30 day trial.

edit: yes, I checked further... avast for business basic (free) hasn't been available for new signups since around the beginning of the year. existing customers can still use it and add more computers (I did so just yesterday), but comments I've seen from avast reps say they'll eventually pull the plug. at least they've reduced the price for the paid version... they used to want $6 per device per month which is insane, now it's $2 per device per month which is more reasonable.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 07-19-2017 at 11:10 AM.

$6 per device per year might be reasonable. I was paying closer to $3 per device per year back when we had Kaspersky, though to get that pricing I admit I was paying for 3 years at a time.

I see lots of new SaaS products out there that all want to charge a small number per item per month, but when I look at our actual annual cost it's ridiculous. I'd be all about SaaS subscriptions if I could do it and be cost-neutral for what we pay now, but most of these overprice by a factor of 10 or more.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 07-20-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 8GB with Untangle 12.2 to protect 200Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Yeah, I've got to call them today to figure out when my free ride ends, but I'll also be slamming them on their prices. Because there's no way I'm forking over $2 / month / pc for this. I have no need for all the "advanced" features they offer, and... well... I have another product that costs me a bit more than $4 / pc / month that gets me remote access, patch management, malwarebytes, and webroot. So... they can drop their price to about $.75 / pc / month or I switch off...

Windows Defender on Win10 is working rather well, you just don't need AV anymore in the right conditions.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-20-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Agreed, $2 per device per month is still a bit high (note I said "more reasonable", as compared to the abject insanity of $6 per device per month). That's still $24 per device/year, but it's lower than the prices they list for their business security products elsewhere on their site; the cheapest package seems to be ~$28 per device per year in a 5-device package (Endpoint Protection Suite).

I do like the simplicity of avast for business though... deployment is brain-dead easy.

Hopefully sales will have something for me, because I'm not opposed to paying them. It's a great product. But what I want is a subscription for the "basic" product. AV only, just the way I like it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

do post back what you learn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12