Untanglit

Default Strategy question.

I work in a k-12 environment, and the school caters to students with behavioral and social development difficulties.

I have video blocked for all students unless the bypass is used by the teacher.

We're attempting use of Google Classroom, and teachers would like to include video lessons so I'm trying to choose the best route on how I would be able to allow one video, but still block the others.

If you do this, how are you accomplishing it?

Thank you.

I would treat this as a policy issue, rather than a technical issue. Go to the administration and tell them they can't have it both ways; either videos are blocked generally, or they aren't. Get the institution to decide what it wants the policy to be, whether videos will be continue to be blocked, or whether the emergence of video as an educational tool has tipped the scale so the positives now out-weight the negatives.

The alternative is abandoning the use of the Application Control app to filter videos, so you can limit yourself to Web Filter only (which, btw, will be a less-complete filter). Then you can manually white-list any video any instructor wants to use... at the cost, of course, of needing to go in and white list every video instructors use.

But it's a rarely good for IT to end up in that situation. IMO, you'll really be better better off presenting this to the administration and faculty as a policy choice to be made above your level. If you give them the option to do white listing at all, admin/faculty groups will not tend to understand the negative consequences and full cost of needing to do updates for every little thing. IT exists to eliminate that kind of busy-work in the first place, and this kind of situation has us working against our strengths,

And that's if the white-listing approach even works at all. Sites like YouTube have complicated back-ends where the video content is served separately from the main page load. Blocking video sites generally while allowing specific videos is more involved just putting a specific YouTube URL in the pass list. It also leaves you the question of how faculty will have the freedom to discover and vet the videos they want to use.

An additional thing to keep in mind is bandwidth consumption. You can expect bandwidth use to increase dramatically if the decision is made to allow videos, and so you also need to ask whether your current connection and server are adequate for the job.

One final alternative is the use of policy manager. You might be able to use policy manager to segment your network by time of day, vlan, ip range, user group, etc, to allow videos in some situations related to those policy options. Policy manager can't know whether a video was posted to Google Classroom, but it can know that current user is a member of your Faculty group. Or it can know that the current session is during school hours, on a classroom computer.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 10-02-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 8GB with Untangle 12.2 to protect 200Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untanglit

Thank you. That was my guess as well. The nature of the students behavior will nix this idea, and that's ok I suppose. I just wanted to attempt a viable solution. I'm an hourly (it broke, fix it) contractor, so while it might seem ineffective to whitelist videos I'm currently ok with that idea.. it just doesn't function with ease due to the back end like you said.

I've considered trying to host all of the desired content locally, but it seems I would be consistently overloaded with "Hey I need that yesterday" etc.

Maybe I could setup alternate sign ins for these use cases in AD to allow such settings, but it certainly sounds like a hassle too.

Thank you.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by skearton View Post
    Maybe I could setup alternate sign ins for these use cases in AD to allow such settings, but it certainly sounds like a hassle too.
    I'm in a similar situation, where one of my clients is a K-12, and what the administration decided was to create a generic username in Active Directory called "Youtube," which uses Web Filter to block *everything* except youtube, vimeo, etc. That way, the account doesn't get abused since the only thing you can do is go to youtube. Only the principals and a few teachers have access to that account, and when a video is approved they download it to show it locally to the students.

This setup required some minor planning, but hasn't been difficult to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by yotefn View Post
    Only the principals and a few teachers have access to that account
    And if you truly believe that, I have some swamp land in Florida I can sell you.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 8GB with Untangle 12.2 to protect 200Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty