Lightbulb configuring Gmail for E-mail reports for Business [w/G Suite]

Since the "cloud hosted mail relay server" has been having constipation,
    I wanted to review a hard-won success story with Google mail, included with G Suite.

So ours is a business environment. And we subscribe to G Suite Basic, using our own domain.
    Since Google has a matrix on how to send to their SMTP servers. this becomes hard to interpret. I am showing one of the paths to success.
    See Send email from a printer, scanner, or app from "G Suite Admin Help".

Because I have a Static IP address associate with the business, I can choose to use the recommended G Suite SMTP relay. It also happens to be very simple, and very close to unlimited.
    I can send to any one of the following ports:
    • 465 (SSL not required)
    • 587 (TLS not necessarily required) *only required if authenticating w/ username&pwd

From this document: SMTP relay: Route outgoing non-Gmail messages through Google, we followed these instruction steps in the Google Admin console:
    • Turn on comprehensive mail storage
    • SELECT: Only addresses in my domains
    • SELECT: Only accept mail from the specified IP addresses
    • IF you select "Require TLS encryption: Yes", Then Untangle must use Server Port:587
    • Configure your on-premise outbound email server (Untangle, Exim) to point to smtp-relay.gmail.com
    • The Untangle Server will send email from this address.: some E-mail@our registered domain

Note that Authentication is not required, in this case. [redacted]
    Also note that with G Suite, App passwords are not available. That would be the best way to go if this were a personal account and you had two-factor identification enabled - but this is off-topic.

I hope this helps someone - Enjoy!
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 08-16-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added missing URLs

Nice write up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    Note that Authentication is not required, in this case. Be advised that at this release of NGFW 14.2, if a Google SMTP server is presented to Untangle, config presumes that authentication is required, but it works if you leave the fields blank (null).
    It may seem this way but actually the authentication checkbox is only checked if the login/password fields had previous entries. The bug has been there for awhile. Thanks for reporting it. It does not affect any functionality but it will be fixed in the next release.
    https://jira.untangle.com/browse/NGFW-12566
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    the authentication checkbox is only checked if the login/password fields had previous entries.
    https://jira.untangle.com/browse/NGFW-12566
    I suspected as much, but I don't think I searched for it ;=)
    It was amusing to play with for a while - like whack-a-mole; while I was figuring out how to get these two flavors of SMTP to work.
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 08-17-2019 at 12:32 AM.