Untangler

Default tunnel vpn installs default route then all traffic dies

Looking for a technical reason around this one. I opened a support case and though very helpful its took waaaaaay to long (weeks) to get an answer and then the answer i got is basically thats just how it works.

Whats going on is the ovpn file is configured with a default 0/0 route. So when it connects it installs that route, once that happens all connectivity stops. The wan dies, i get external alerts and no matter what rule i use all traffic is dead. I am quite curious as to why all traffic completely stops. Poking at it if i comment out the 0/0 route everything works fine.

Here is the verbatim response, let me say the agent was very courteous and as helpful as he could be during the extended exchange, he has been good about followups as well. Posting this for insight:

"I took a look with my manager and also took a look at the device. It looks like traffic is being routed, however, with a 0.0.0.0 route it is sending absolutely everything through the tunnel. Untangle need unrestricted access to the WAN in order to be able to function properly and by defaulting all traffic through the tunnel is bound to break things. I wish I could be more technical about it, but according to my manager that is expected to break. You can add a rule in untangle that will route all traffic over the tunnel but it will still send necessary information out the default gateway. So you still aren't creating a 0.0.0.0 destination address rule."

Anyone have any technical reasoning that makes sense to me why the tunnels show connected but break absolutely everything?

Default route will not work with an Untangle. Use the tunnel vpn rule "Route all traffic over any available Tunnel."
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

So the route in question comes as part of the rolled ovpn config file. Only during the process of trying to figure out why everything died did i discover the route. Is there a reason why the tunnel stays connected, shows keep alive traffic but otherwise everything else dies, including wan interface connectivity?