Default Port forwarding behind my VPN Provider?!

Hey whats up

first of all - sorry for my bad English but I try my best to explain my test and issue at the moment.

Im testing untangle for my Home and Office right now and its cool - but I'm running in an issue with my VPN Provider "AirVPN" and Portforwarding.

I'm trying to run a Emby Media Server behind my VPN tunnel. The Tunnel setup was pretty easy with an .ovpn file.

And without the tunnel its also easy to portfarward my Emby Server - but from inside the Tunnel I'm completly lost how to portfarward.

Can anybody explain how it works for VPN Providers and Untangle? Is it only a Portforwarding rule or any other settings like a NAT rule or Firewall?!

I have 2 Ports from AirVPN : 25482 - Local 25482 // 38142 - Local 8096

Thanks alot.

Without the VPN provider forwarding incoming traffic to your IP I doubt it is possible.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

VPN providers mean double NAT. So if you want the VPN provider's IP to have your service on it, first the VPN provider has to forward stuff to you, and then you can forward it to the service.

So, as JCoffin said, unless the VPN provider supports that, you're going nowhere.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

This is possible - but I think I have to change something on the NAT setup...

airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/

I've never used the Tunnel VPN app, but the process of port forwarding is the same.

You need to forward the traffic you want from the VPN provider to the IP address on Untangle provided to Untangle by the VPN provider. The "WAN IP" for the VPN. Then you can make a port forward rule on Untangle for the traffic hitting that address and send it on to the device in question.

Now, if your VPN provider provides you a dynamic address, this solution is going to be VERY hard to maintain. And no, you can't fix that.
    NexgenAppliances.com

But is this all a "Port forward" thing or a NAT rule or something like this also?

Greetings

btw its a static IP from my VPN Provider
    Last edited by D0bby; 08-28-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Port forwards are NAT rules, but not all NAT rules are port forwards, so I'm not sure what you're asking.

Also... careful... when you stay static IP from VPN provider what does that mean?

There are THREE IP addresses at play here that matter. The VPN provider's public address that's handling your traffic. The VPN provider's private address assigned to your Untangle. And finally the IP address of the device that ultimately must receive the communications.

If you don't have a clear understanding of this, this process will fail. And we can't really help you troubleshoot, because it's just too complicated for forum support. This is double NAT, this is NOT easy!
    D0bby likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Okay - its a little bit more clear for me and I'm trying it.

So maybe you can guide me a little if you want

How can i forward the traffic from the public IP to the private VPN IP?

Mapped to public IP: 178.xxx.xxx.xxx.
    Forwarded to: 10.xx.xxx.xxx

Thanks alot

The public IP to the private VPN IP has to be done by your VPN provider. I've never worked with any of those providers, I honestly do not believe in them. You'll have to tinker, and test until it all works. Double NAT isn't terribly fun, but it usually works... Once you get everything lined up anyway.
    NexgenAppliances.com