Untangler

Default Tunnel VPN wrongly thinks that client is tagged

I'm using Untangle 14.2.2 and have the Tunnel VPN active. One of my top rules in Tunnel VPN is
    Code:
    Client Tagged => no-tunnel    Route Normally
    . However that rule doesn't work as expected, because for my main PC that doesn't have any tags( and hasn't for days or weeks) it kicks in and bypasses the tunnel. For other devices on my network it works as expected.

I found out that is was this rule by creating another temporary tunnel rule to force my PC through the tunnel and moved it up in the rule list until I saw, when it became effective. So it is definitely the rule above that is the culprit.

To further test this I also created a firewall rule to check the tag "no-tunnel" and the firewall app doesn't see my PC as tagged, so that app is working correctly.

I have tagged my PC as "no-tunnel" in the past for test purposes, though I don't remember, if I explicitly deleted the tag or let it expire. It certainly hasn't been tagged for quite a while and no tags are showing up for it either in the Hosts or Devices tab.

Any idea, what's going wrong here with the Tunnel VPN app? Or am I possibly making some mistake?

I have had a lot of problems with this. When initially entering in tags for my hosts things seem to work perfectly. But if I ever decide to change things around in any way everything goes haywire and I basically have to delete all tags, profiles, rules etc and start from scratch. It feels like unless you start everything else out perfectly then you either have to just wait until what ever process it is thats confused gets refreshed or just remove all tags and rules using those tags and start from scratch.

I will say one thing, even though I work only with "Devices", the tags I add populate to the corresponding "Host" so if you make a change on a "Device" be sure to look at the "Host" and ensure that you don't still have unexpected tags showing up there. I've had it where I add/remove tags in the device screen then later I look at hosts and the corresponding hosts has all the tags that I've ever assigned still stuck in there :P. Perhaps someone with more in depth knowledge of the tag/device/hosts processes can shed light on how all this works.
    tangofan likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by datbird View Post
    I have had a lot of problems with this. When initially entering in tags for my hosts things seem to work perfectly. But if I ever decide to change things around in any way everything goes haywire and I basically have to delete all tags, profiles, rules etc and start from scratch. It feels like unless you start everything else out perfectly then you either have to just wait until what ever process it is thats confused gets refreshed or just remove all tags and rules using those tags and start from scratch.
    Thanks for reporting on your experience. It sounds then that the whole tagging system is in a bad state and perhaps not worth messing with.

I will say one thing, even though I work only with "Devices", the tags I add populate to the corresponding "Host" so if you make a change on a "Device" be sure to look at the "Host" and ensure that you don't still have unexpected tags showing up there. I've had it where I add/remove tags in the device screen then later I look at hosts and the corresponding hosts has all the tags that I've ever assigned still stuck in there :P. Perhaps someone with more in depth knowledge of the tag/device/hosts processes can shed light on how all this works.
    Yes, I always tag on the "Hosts" tab and it seems to propagate those tags (and their deletion) to the "Devices" tab. Unfortunately that looks all good in my case, so the problem lies elsewhere.

JRL

I actually just setup untangled. I am using TAGS for VPN. Basically, I have ALL my devices routing through VPN based on the default rule. I then decided to try my Tag and it did want I want and removed the PC from VPN. Then I deleted the tag and my device didn't return back to VPN until I rebooted the device. Not the wanted behavior but was how I managed.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I actually just setup untangled. I am using TAGS for VPN. Basically, I have ALL my devices routing through VPN based on the default rule. I then decided to try my Tag and it did want I want and removed the PC from VPN. Then I deleted the tag and my device didn't return back to VPN until I rebooted the device. Not the wanted behavior but was how I managed.
    My Untangle tag memory is actually even more resilient. It survived no only a reboot, but also the upgrade to v5.0. Oh well, either way it sounds like this feature isn't ready for prime time.