Default Dns Leak nordvpn

Hello, I'm new to untangle coming from another firewall. I set up nordvpn via tunnelvpn. I have several gaming devices not running through the VPN and have the rest tagged as tunnel. I am getting a dns leak on the devices going through the tunnel. I tried to override the dns to nord's dns but it causes issues with my gaming devices connectivity. I've searched but could not find a solution. Some help would be much appreciated.

Payaso915,

As I understand it, you can use the --block-outside-dns option in OpenVPN to prevent this.

https://community.openvpn.net/openvp...envpn23ManPage

Will this work even though I am using the TunnelVPN app?

Untangler

@Payaso915,

You'd have to edit the opvn config file to add the "--block-outside-dns" line, and then import that OPVN config file into TunnelVPN to see if it solves the problem. If it does, it's a more elegant way of fixing dns leaks that happen in any device that I've used- unless you create a script (like in Tomato). In Untangle you can force any device through your VPN's DNS in Config/Network/Port Forward rules. If you recycle your NordVPN when it connects and go to log in TunnelVPN, you can find the DNS that NordVPN is using for your connection. Then in add port forwarding rules in Config/Network/Port Forward like these:

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 2.12.57 PM.png

As you can see from my rules, I have my firestick on my home LAN, but forward all DNS requests from it through StrongVPN's DNS. I also have separate VLANS with which connect users to different VPN connections based on wifi.

It took me a bit to get used to Untangle's layout, but I've never looked back. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by junglechuck View Post
    @Payaso915,

You'd have to edit the opvn config file to add the "--block-outside-dns" line, and then import that OPVN config file into TunnelVPN to see if it solves the problem. If it does, it's a more elegant way of fixing dns leaks that happen in any device that I've used- unless you create a script (like in Tomato). In Untangle you can force any device through your VPN's DNS in Config/Network/Port Forward rules. If you recycle your NordVPN when it connects and go to log in TunnelVPN, you can find the DNS that NordVPN is using for your connection. Then in add port forwarding rules in Config/Network/Port Forward like these:

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 2.12.57 PM.png

As you can see from my rules, I have my firestick on my home LAN, but forward all DNS requests from it through StrongVPN's DNS. I also have separate VLANS with which connect users to different VPN connections based on wifi.

It took me a bit to get used to Untangle's layout, but I've never looked back. Hope this helps.
    Thank you. I figured it out. Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Payaso915; 09-09-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Untangler

@Payaso915,

Great! Glad it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by junglechuck View Post
    @Payaso915,

Great! Glad it worked.
    Thank you so much.