Default Untangle 15.1 - ExpressVPN tunnel shows Disconnected.

Good morning everyone,

I've just started with Untangle last week and got most I want already working.
    Now since I have an subscription from ExpressVPN I would like to configure an tunnel.
    The steps shown after clicking ExpressVPN were followed with the random generated credentials.
    Tunnel status just shows as Disconnected. I've also checked the youtube video from Lawrence Systems If I forgot an step. He configured PIA but steps mostly showed the same. Also my logs just stay empty.

Do you have any tip so that I get this to work properly?
    I've already rebooted the Untangle router. My modem Is In bridge modus.

Greetings,

ThaGameha

Untangle Ninja

Express vpn works fine here. Did you try another location? Sometimes one will be down. I assume you are using tunnelvpn. More details might get you a better answer.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Express vpn works fine here. Did you try another location? Sometimes one will be down. I assume you are using tunnelvpn. More details might get you a better answer.
    Hi donhwyo,

I've used the Tunnel VPN application for this. Selected ExpressVPN as the provider and used the VPN config from ExpressVPN from my country The Netherlands. After this picked the credentials showen In my personal ExpressVPN and filled them In.
    While typing this I'am starting all over with a different VPN config from The Netherlands. Within ExpressVPN I pick manuel configuration and select OpenVPN. Now after the VPN Config Is downloaded and validated within Untangle I just click Done and Save.

The tunnel status for the new created tunnel shows as Disconnected.
    Tried three locations In the Netherlands but all give same status.
    The log within the Tunnel VPN application is completly empty.
    I get an ping response from the server used from ExpressVPN on my router.

Untangle runs at the moment as free with trials for other apps. Will use a different pc to run the Home license for 50 dollar a year.

My ISP modem Is In Bridge mode and the Untangle box as Router.
    Untangle uses the ISP DNS.

Checked with the desktop client from ExpressVPN on Windows 10 and this just connects normally to the same location picked.

Do you maby know where I can find the logs on the router It self via SSH?
    Last edited by ThaGameha; 10-11-2020 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Added Information about my setup.

Untangle Ninja

Tried connecting to Amsterdam with my 16 RC. It fails. Try Switzerland it is working.

There is a limit on the number of devices. (5 maybe) Untangle counts as one for anything behind it. Is it running on other devices?

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Tried connecting to Amsterdam with my 16 RC. It fails. Try Switzerland it is working.

There is a limit on the number of devices. (5 maybe) Untangle counts as one for anything behind it. Is it running on other devices?
    hmmn very strange. I've followed the steps again but then for Switzerland and this gives also the tunnel status as Disconnected with nothing In the log of the VPN Tunnel application.
    I'am running the latest version of Untangle 15.1.2.20200929T040612.d1c019a901-1buster from the site.
    I have only two devices running the VPN so the VPN tunnel from Untangle should be three devices all together.
    Contacted ExpressVPN via chat and they don't see anything wrong with my account so I guess I've have to check the logs from my router to see why the tunnel will not start.

What version are you running at the moment?

Do you maby have an idea where I can find these logs?
    Last edited by ThaGameha; 10-11-2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Contacted ExpressVPN support

The Reports application shows for the Tunnel VPN application only 5 reports.
    two charts, two event lists and one summaries. When I open one of those It's just empty.

Untangle Ninja

I am on 16 rc. I don't use tunnelvpn any more. I am using Untangle SD-WAN on a wrt1900acs to deal with the vpn these days. More options and control.

Hoping Untangle and expressvpn will both support wireguard for free soon.

FYI SD-WAN fails on Amsterdam too.
    Last edited by donhwyo; 10-11-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Well I did all the steps again but typed the credentials over from ExpressVPN.
    Now the tunnel status was changed to Connected.
    Must had an problem with the copy button on the ExpressVPN site. The thread can be closed and this Is solved.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Untangle Ninja

Glad you got it working.