Default Packet Loss on Certain clients

Hello,

I have tunnel VPN set up with expressvpn. The route all traffic through VPN is set.

I have two ping tests going on. The top one in the screenshot in from a linux box that has a perfect connection over vpn. No packet loss whatsever.

The bottom ping test is my Mac.

I can only assume that the Untangle router is configured correctly and the problem is on the client side (Mac). So maybe this question would be better fit on the Mac forums, but wanted to try here first.

I have tried playing around with MTU settings on the client side. I have symetrical fiber so MTU is default at 1500.

I've also confirmed that the Mac client does NOT have packet loss when I disconnect tunnelVPN. It only happens when I turn on Tunnel VPN..

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 10.08.37 AM.png

Quote Originally Posted by rcafferky View Post
    Hello,

I have tunnel VPN set up with expressvpn. The route all traffic through VPN is set.

I have two ping tests going on. The top one in the screenshot in from a linux box that has a perfect connection over vpn. No packet loss whatsever.

The bottom ping test is my Mac.

I can only assume that the Untangle router is configured correctly and the problem is on the client side (Mac). So maybe this question would be better fit on the Mac forums, but wanted to try here first.

I have tried playing around with MTU settings on the client side. I have symetrical fiber so MTU is default at 1500.

I've also confirmed that the Mac client does NOT have packet loss when I disconnect tunnelVPN. It only happens when I turn on Tunnel VPN..

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 10.08.37 AM.png
    Okay, I figured this out. I went to packetlosstest.com and connected to different servers on expressVPN. Apparently, the Tampa and Miami servers have packet loss consistently. I connected to the Dallas server and it's near perfect..

Untangle Ninja

FYI mtr (my trace route) is a small program like traceroute. It is available for linux and windows and maybe mac. It shows much more info than the normal trace route program.
    mtr.png
    It would be a nice tool for Untangle to include.
    https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...erout-with-mtr

That is going threw express vpn to microsoft.com. LOL
    Last edited by donhwyo; 03-01-2021 at 08:14 AM.