Question How to route specific websites to non-VPN interface.

Having growing concerns about Netgate and would love to switch to Untangle except for this one issue—the ability to route specific websites over the non-VPN interface.

There are about 20 or so sites that I routinely visit (including my bank, streaming, etc.) that block VPN IPs. I’ve used several different commercial VPN providers and continue to run into this. With pfsense, I’m able to create a single alias comprised of domain names (not IPs) and have these domains automatically routed through the regular WAN interface. This maximizes my VPN use and uses non-VPN only when absolutely necessary. pfsense does this by periodic DNS queries of the listed domains and then dynamically adds the IPs to the rule that routes to the WAN.

I can’t simply look up the IPs of the sites that have the problem since many of the big ones have multiple IPs or ones that change.

I really want to switch to Untangle, but this one feature is a big use case for me.

Am I missing something? Is this feature on the horizon?

I've tried adding IPs manually and it's not a good solution. My bank, for example, has change IPs 5 times this morning alone.

I *really* want to migrate to Untangle.

How have others worked around this?

This is something that would definitely help with WAN Balancer and VPN rules.

Untangle Ninja

I think it can be done with SD-Wan. Maybe it will migrate to untangle some day. Probably another high priced addon.

Master Untangler

I've recently had the same sort of issue.

Would it be possible to use the tag host feature to tag based on website (in the same way that you can tag a Bittorent using client) and then create a rule in Tunnel VPN that says if a host is tagged with x, route over the regular WAN like below?

https://forums.untangle.com/tunnel-v...-normally.html
    Last edited by Armshouse; 03-28-2021 at 11:48 AM.