Default Antivirus question

We've been using/testing Untangle in-house for about two months and at our largest client site for about a month. There is a good amount of e-mail/Internet traffic at these sites. To date, we've never had the AV scanners in Untangle spot a virus (with the exception of a purposeful test). I was a little suprised at this as I expected to be able to show reports to prospective clients about how much stuff Untangle was taking care of. Does anyone else have reports showing Untangle blocking viruses?

Not that I don't think Untangle is doing it's job - just the opposite. I think that much of what would be flagged by the AV modules is getting blocked by other modules before the traffic ever makes it to the AV scanners (ie bad sites blocked by webfilter, spyware blocker, etc). Am I correct in this thinking?

I don't believe you can have too much security/protection and I like the "redundant security" built in to Untangle. But, from a potential buyer's point of view, it could make the dual antivirus a tougher sale. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Doug
    www.vbcnetworks.com
    Last edited by hdallen55; 01-05-2008 at 08:50 AM.

This may or may not be an option for you, but maybe this will help. Take another box, say a desktop box with 2 nics and set it up in bridge mode on the public side of the Untangle box running nothing but the AV and Reports modules. This way, it can give you AV reports prior to traffic getting to the other modules. Hope this helps.

Thumbs up

Excellent idea, Gliverman.

Wish I had thought of it; looks obvious in hindsight. I have a friend that calls these types of revelations BFOs (Blinding Flashes of the Obvious). I will set one of these up this week and see what I get.

Thanks again,

Doug
    www.vbcnetworks.com

You are very welcome! Post back about how this works please.