Master Untangler deleted_account+118970@untangle.com's Avatar

Default Virus Blocker Lite Blocking Origin Downloads

Hi. I have been struggling to download any games or updates from my Origin client (steam knockoff for EA games). I finally narrowed it down to the Virus Blocker Lite. When "Disable HTTP resume" is selected, it will not download anything. You will just see "preparing" on the client and nothing will ever download.

I am sure this is the same on the paid Virus Blocker but I can't test it.

This is not the default option, the default option is unchecked (to "allow HTTP resume"). I changed this a while back because I had issues with streaming video, including Netflix.

I'll check to see if there is still the issue with Netflix/Hulu/YouTub. I just thought I would let you know and get this out here.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 7echno7im; 01-19-2012 at 05:30 PM.

This is why allow HTTP resume is the default.
    many valid apps use partial fetches (resume) and require it to work.

In theory you could use partial fetches to download a virus in pieces to evade the filter (which is why its an option.) I've never seen or heard of this happening in practice though.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I'm running it with the default setting (uncheck) at home with no issues on Netflix.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler deleted_account+118970@untangle.com's Avatar

Weird, I am not sure how it got checked. Maybe when I was setting it up I thought I needed to check it rather than uncheck it. The old default was "enable resumes" and checked, right? This was the thread way back that I followed but after reading it, it seems like I did the opposite.

http://forums.untangle.com/virus-blo...-untangle.html

Yeah, it's been a while since it was checked by default; at least 2-3 main releases.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

I don't recall ever checking, but mine was checked - in both the free and kaspersky settings. Had to remove both, but fixed issue with Netflix & YouTube not working on iPads & Tivo. Makes sense once you know that option exists.

Depends on how old your installation is. Once upon a time, that was on by default!

So if you've upgraded from 6.x to current, you will have those boxes checked.

Sometimes it's just a good idea to pave a box and reconfigure, then defaults like this one get reset and you just don't have to think about them. Untangle has changed so much in the way it thinks over the last three years that things just get plain strange after upgrades.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com