Default which virus scan engine does Virus Blocker Lite use? ClamAV or Bitdefender?

I've noticed on your page that Virus Blocker , full version talks about bitdefender. So when I upgrade from version 10 to 12 and use Virus Blocker Lite is it still going to be ClamAV or has it been changed to bitdefender? Thanks

Lite is ClamAV
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

And the paid version is Bitdefender? Ok, my current situation is that I've been running ver 10 for some time. Recently when users complain about not receiving mail in a timely manner I check the untangle box and it shows high CPU. I restart it and everything is fine again for a while. I'm running Spam lite and Virus Blocker Lite as well as OpenVPN for remote access. It is running on a dual core E5200 PC with 4Gb of RAM. My plan is to go to v12 on a faster PC but since clamAV seems to have a log file rotate issue I'm thinking of buying a license for Virus Blocker and hopefully the Bitdefender engine doesn't have this same issue. The main reason I believe that the current hardware is being overrun is the sheer amount of mail the Spam and Virus apps need to deal with. Approx 188000 emails processed over 50 days, only 2100 of those being non-SPAM . Does this sound right? Thanks

First issue, always be on the current version.

SPAM scanning is CPU intensive, if the load is high, your box is under-powered for the usage. Rebooting only masks the issue.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

The box may be underpowered, but honestly I think you just need to upgrade.

v10 is horrid compared to v12 in several key ways, and multiple engine changes have been made, specifically to spam blocker.

Your spam filter is over a year behind at this point... that's why it's not working!
    NexgenAppliances.com

So basically you're saying yes to my question "Does this sound right?" I guess I was looking for a confirmation that based on the amount of email and the system specs I mentioned, that more hardware is the answer. Or, if there was maybe some other explanation for the high CPU. For instance if you had replied that based on my hardware I already was ok, I would then know to look for some other explanation before pulling the trigger. Do you have any numbers that suggest a certain level of hardware based on usage? That's the kind of thing that would have been helpful. Just saying that "if the load is high, your box is under-powered for the usage" is pretty obvious and doesn't help me to size the replacement computer. Also, I still haven't got confirmation on my question about which virus scan engine is used for Virus Blocker paid version. And yes I'm quite aware that rebooting isn't the solution.

See now there is some useful information! Thank you sky-knight . To be clear though SPAM filtering is working very well.

So if you are saying with the changes in v12 my hardware might be fine, I'm going to upgrade first and see what happens after that. My gut feeling was that the current hardware "should" be sufficient for what it's being asked to do. I'll post an update after I've upgraded and have had a month or so of usage. Thanks

Given where you are, honestly I'd try to blast the install and reconfigure vs do the upgrade. The v10 to v11 upgrade isn't gentle, and the v11 to v12 is a mess again.

However, if you can survive the upgrade to v11.2.1, you can pull a backup, pave the system and install a fresh current v12 then restore your configuration. V12 can read v11.2.1 backups!

But, if your configuration is simple, you can save a ton of time by just paving and starting over.

Your issue right now I suspect lies in the reality that you're two kernel major revisions behind, two OS's behind, and running on out of date software.

Upgrades do generally work though, so don't think I'm telling you it's very likely to blow up. It's just that should it actually do so, it's going to be ugly. So be ready to rebuild from scratch just in case.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-03-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    f1assistance likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com