Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Virus Blocker and POP3

I am aware that Virus Blocker Lite no longer scans POP3 email. Is the same true for Virus Blocker [heavy]?

Thanks!

Frank

Yes.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Sorry but I am really annoyed. I am paying for a full subscription of Virus Blocker and suddenly the Untangle team decides to just remove the important POP and IMAP scanning features. They claim that this causes slowdown and that people use SSL. Please let the paying users decide if they want to slow down their network or not and whether they use SSL encryption or not. Small businesses have to rely on this protection and IMHO it is much more insecure to not scan e-mails for viruses than to be scared about hypothetical man-in-the-middle attacks.

BTW, in the shop you still advertise with the non-existing POP/IMAP features:
    https://www.untangle.com/store/prem-...cker-conf.html

How about the price of the virus scanner? It should go down if you remove e-mail features.

UPDATE: It looks like the Phish Blocker has removed POP / IMAP as well

Anguel
    Last edited by Anguel; 06-13-2014 at 04:42 AM.

I generally agree with Anguel on this, even though we don't need the POP3/IMAP scanning, I think he is right.
    Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

Thanks for pointing that out.
    We will remove that from the feature list.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Having a commercial virus scanner was one of the main reasons we chose Untangle over other free Linux firewall distros (e.g. IPCop). In a small business you don't need much more. I understand that HTTPS is not straight-forward to scan for viruses without doing modifications on the client side. So for a small business HTTP and POP/IMAP are the only 2 important protocol types that need to be scanned for viruses. Now, by removing POP/IMAP Untangle has silently removed 50% (!) of these virus scanning features but the price is still the same. Very disappointing.

PCI compliance dictates that any authenticated process over SMTP, POP3, and IMAP be encrypted.

The only unencrypted mail transaction that should be allowed is on TCP 25 for the mail server to receive unauthenticated mail.

This is the standard security guideline for deploying and using e-mail servers and related technologies.

The best place to filter spam, and viruses, etc from e-mail is between the e-mail server and the world, or on the mail server itself. The inline filtration Untangle provided in the past worked, but only in very specific circumstances. Untangle wisely recognized this and changed the product to work more consistently.

SSL man in the middle hackery is only adding confusion. Use a mail service that properly defends your mail!

If you're small business with an internal mail server, Untangle's SMTP scanning will take care of e-mail as it lands on the server. A second scan on the way out to the client is a waste of resources.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

We are using one of the best hosting services here in Germany (Domainfactory) and it has good e-mail virus scanning on the server. However, I still see some mails with dangerous attachments go through. I think that a second virus engine on Untangle would help.

The second engine is on your desktop, with an outlook plugin. Or an eavesdropper that watches the SMTP/POP3/IMAP as it goes in/out of the client.

If that hosting provider is the "best" it's likely already using multi-vendor protection.

If you want to keep the hosted mail and add more protection to it, you need something like McAffee's filtration service.

Untangle is designed to deal with the untrusted messages as they make their unencrypted transmission to the SMTP server behind Untangle. The other filters never worked quite right, so having them pulled doesn't change much. I'm sorry that you feel there was value there, but in reality there wasn't.

There simply isn't a good way to do a MITM with IMAP and POP3, and again PCI compliance requires encryption here. So everyone should be in a place where the feature just flat doesn't work!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Ok, thank you for the clarification sky-knight. Unfortunately, most malware enters through e-mail and it is disappointing that there is nothing Untangle's virus blocker can do. And I ask the question - why did they advertise POP/IMAP scanning?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast