Default Virus Blocker and Virus Blocker Lite

I have read that some folks are running both the paid version and the lite. I understand that the paid uses Bitdefender and the lite Clam. What are your opinions on running just one or both?

Cheers!

Master Untangler

I use both. They are described as potentially complimentary tools in the documentation.

If I have Virus Blocker and Virus Blocker Lite installed, are one or both used and in which order?

If you have both virus scanners installed, Virus Blocker is applied to a message first: if a message passes Virus Blocker, then and only then is Virus Blocker Lite applied to the message (there's no point in scanning the message twice if the first scanner has rejected it). This is not to say one scanner is inherently better than the another: note that Virus Blocker is complemented by Virus Blocker Lite and in the case of a virus-free message, the computational overhead of the virus scan includes both scanners. A message that would be rejected by both scanners incurs the computational and time cost of just Virus Blocker. To perform a valid comparison, you should run test messages through the Untangle with no scanners installed, Virus Blocker by itself, Virus Blocker Lite by itself and lastly both scanners installed together and compare the results.
    wbennett77 likes this.

Whenever possible we suggest running both Virus Blocker and Lite.
    wbennett77 likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I used to run both. I turned off lite off because it was seeing traffic before the paid blocker and catching enough of the malware that it effectively split my reports in half.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 8GB with Untangle 12.2 to protect 200Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    I used to run both.
    I'm not following the reason. Lite was catching malware not caught by the paid app? According to the documentation Lite can't see traffic before the paid app.

If one module catches malware, it's dropped from the stream, and the later modules won't see the traffic.

So if Lite handles a session first and blocks it for malware, the full module won't see it, because there's no point to continue processing that session... it's already set it will blocked. If the paid module handles a session first and blocks it for malware, the Lite module won't see it.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 8GB with Untangle 12.2 to protect 200Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Master Untangler

Thanks for the explanation. I must be misreading the virus filter documentation.