Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    11

    Default Virus signatures for MacOS?

    Do the virus blocker or virus blocker lite apps support MacOS? I realize I can add .dmg or .pkg to the extensions list but are there signatures for Mac or the means for this to add value?

    I was searching and found this older post regarding clamav https://forums.untangle.com/virus-bl...n-dmorris.html

  2. #2
    Untangle Junkie dmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Carlos, CA
    Posts
    16,489

    Default

    Yes, they are not platform specificy. The scan for general malware.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Yes, they are not platform specificy. The scan for general malware.
    Thanks! I'm testing this out.

    If I turn on SSL inspector for SMTPS traffic will Virus Blocker then scan this as well?

  4. #4
    Untangle Junkie dmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Carlos, CA
    Posts
    16,489

    Default

    Yes, but to be honest I would not suggest doing it.
    Its a bigger headache than its worth because SMTP clients actually check the certificate so you must upload the certificate for your email server to Untangle. I would just do antivirus on the email server instead. Thats really where this should be done as you have access to all email and files without having to deal with SSL or monkeying with SMTP.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

  5. #5
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    37

    Default

    If you are using UT Home then you are SOL for Mac signatures, Since they took away the Bitdefender engine, you lost 19,000 OSX or MacOS signatures and 90 plus Heuristical algorithms to scan files with. I received the sig counts directly from Bitdefender's lab about 1 year ago. So expect there are more sigs added since then.

    Add these for Mac files( not all may be mac only)

    .caf
    .cnf
    .dmg
    .app
    .applescript
    .cshrc
    .flac
    .framework
    .icns
    .jpg|
    .kext
    .keychain
    .mpkg
    .onepkg
    .emix
    .perfpane
    .plist
    .png|
    .profile
    .psr
    .rtf
    .scpt
    .sh
    skp
    .tiff|
    .txt|
    .zip|


    Anyone can add more if they know it is Mac based.

    .
    Last edited by Mainia; 10-11-2017 at 06:01 PM.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Yes, but to be honest I would not suggest doing it.
    Its a bigger headache than its worth because SMTP clients actually check the certificate so you must upload the certificate for your email server to Untangle. I would just do antivirus on the email server instead. Thats really where this should be done as you have access to all email and files without having to deal with SSL or monkeying with SMTP.
    Ok, that makes sense.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainia View Post

    Anyone can add more if they know it is Mac based.
    My thoughts exactly. Thanks for sharing your additions. So for I had only come up with adding: .app .dmg .pkg .mpkg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2