Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Virus Blocker or Alternative Available for Home USE?

I am going to be purchasing the HomePro version, but it seems that the Virus Blocker isn't available rather only the lite version. I just installed untangled yesterday and it is working well. Is there another app available that is a virus blocker, or is there a way to get the regular virus blocker not the lite version without subscribing to just the app?

Any help would be great!

Untangler

Pay extra for it. You can buy it online and assign it to your account.

Is it better then the lite version?

Virus Blocker is available, just not the bitdefender scanner. It still uses the cloud scanner.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

I'm in the same boat. I purchased the HomePro license which is great but adding BitDefender for $108/yr is pretty pricey. Was hoping there would be a discounted price for home users.

Untanglit

I'm going to second this... I totally get it won't be free because it has to be licensed from BitDefender... but man, $200 a year if you have 50 devices on your network, plus the gateway, is like $1040 for five years...

I'm sure nobody has any sympathy... but if I'm already paying for AV on home units (BitDefender also, actually) plus paying for Heimdal, plus paying for a firewall, plus I'd be paying for AV on said firewall... it adds up.

Everyone wants layers of an onion but nobody tells you that the onion will cost you $700 a year. haha!

Nonetheless, I understand it can't be free, but I wish there was a bundle where I could pay ~$50 or so for firewall and $50 for AV for home use only, when paired with a HomePro SKU, I'd gladly pay that... I guess the other side is I wonder if there are some sketchy people who buy HomePro and use it in their businesses - which is the reasoning for the split-off of separate features.

Why does everyone want a useless AV engine?

That scanner is all but worthless unless you're using Untangle to protect an SMTP server. I've had both AV modules blocking many networks for a decade at this point, and I can count on one hand how many times they've prevented something the Web Filter didn't catch.

Content control is how you keep the bugs out people, you have it, that malware category is all you need. Please stop asking for more... I get the whole defense in depth thing... I do... but you've already got it.

Virus Blocker isn't scanning anything coming in via HTTPs.
    Virus Blocker isn't scanning anything coming in via a cloud sync.

Sure, you can SSL inspect and fix "some" of this, but no where near all of it.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I actually planned on implementing SSL inspection... but I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by McFly80 View Post
    I actually planned on implementing SSL inspection... but I'll leave it at that.
    Well get ready to start ripping your hair out Android/IOS are not accepting certs anymore they have hard coded certs so its useless on there end. Also some desktop apps are not working right with ssl inspection so you will have to start making accept rules. oh and web filter does such a great Job that it will block malware sites before it even hits local AV

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by McFly80 View Post
    I actually planned on implementing SSL inspection...
    I'm one of the less than 10% of Untangle users that does SSL inspection, and that in my home environment. As a macOS, iOS, and Debian user, I've not found it frustrating. I make concessions to a couple of iOS apps (the ability to one-click accommodate them is built into SSL Inspector). Nothing I have running under macOS has caused problems, so far. Safari and Debian's Firefox ESR have been playing nicely under the installed certificates.

The big caveat is that I disable SSL inspection on my guest network. That seems to me to be necessary.

As for the utter uselessness of Untangle's AV app, I'm going to assume that Untangle's investment in ScoutIQ has at least some value. Maybe the AV app will save my neck in the case of a zero-day exploit. Maybe it won't. As long as I can do SSL inspection, I'll use the AV app. It's painless to do so as we wait for Untangle's post-SSL-inspection feature set to arrive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast