Master Untangler

Default WAN Balancer not doing anything?

Been trying to understand this one ... I have Untangle 9.2.1 running with a paid WAN Balancer subscription using a 3Mbps Static IP DSL (eth3) and a 30Mbps Dynamic IP Cable (External) connection with both an Internal and DMZ with each interface having it's own unique IP subnet running without any issues with ALL traffic going over the Cable connection (using the Traffic Allocation) but my Mail Server going over the DSL connection (using Source Routing).

A client wanted to do the same and no matter what I do, I simply cannot get the WAN Balancer to do anything. With their Cable as External and DSL as eth3, everything goes over the Cable (External) interface irrespective of what I setup within WAN Balancer's Traffic Allocation or Source Routing. With their DSL as External and Cable as eth3, everything goes over the DSL (External) interface irrespective of what I setup within WAN Balancer's Traffic Allocation or Source Routing.

I am able to ping both the gateways on the DSL and Cable interfaces and with the DSL as eth3 and all Port forwarding tied to the eth3 Source Interface, all inbound traffic worked without any issues, so I assume that the network adapters are working correctly.

I am running Untangle 9.2.1 at the client and the only thing that I can think of to do is a clean install, which means that I would have to reset all the Port Forwards, OpenVPN Clients, etc. so any ideas would be greately appreciated as this does not sit well with them for me or Untangle as a product ... thanks.

I'd look at your internal interfaces' NAT policies. Make sure they are set to the default 0.0.0.0/0 AUTO.

Then I'd call or email support.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Yes, both the Internal and DMZ Interface NAT Policies are showing 0.0.0.0 / 0 with AUTO.
    Last edited by chmcwill; 05-29-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typo

Master Untangler

Untangle Support took care of this for me, sweet!! Turns out that even though I did not have WAN Failover running, that it's needed in order for WAN Balancer to work?

Yes, been that way for ages. That's why Fail over comes with Balancer when you buy it.

Fail over is what lets Untangle switch WANs, and use the second WAN. Balancer gives you more control over how the second WAN is used.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com