Untanglit

Default WAN Balancer Not Balanced

WAN 1, cable internet, 120Mbit down and 12Mbit up
    WAN2, phone company internet, 50Mbit down and 8Mbit up

I've set QOS settings to 80-90% of the approximate bandwidth of each connection. (Just set these yesterday)
    Traffic allocation is 70% cable, 30% phone company (was 50/50 until yesterday)

Actual balancing is 95% cable, 5% phone company. How do I fix?

Sessions on WAN1: 1644355
    Sessions on WAN 2: 1484259
    Last edited by atothek; 03-24-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Untanglit

Any help would be highly appreciated. Trying to avoid $200 support cost for my $50 home license. Nothing documented seems to resolve this issue.

Do you have any manually added routes?

Also look at session viewer and see if the count is correct for instantaneous snapshot. If those session counts are from the rack app view, that count is from the install of WAN balance.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

This kind of thing is normal for a home connection, where you only have a few sessions to balance.

Remember that balancing your two links does not bond the 120 and the 50 into a single 170 link. Instead, the balancing happens per session, where some sessions are assigned to the 120 link, and others are assigned to the 50, but the whole of each session only gets to use one link.

For example, if I start downloading a large file on my computer, that's typically only one session. All of the bandwidth for that session must be allocated to a single WAN connection. It's not possible to split up this download across both internet links. But while my large download is using as much as it can from the one link, other traffic on my network will be balanced to use the other link, and so I still get good throughput.

Or maybe I start watching Netflix or YouTube. Again, that will all be one session. Even if the video service supports multiple data streams for delivering the video, they'll be part of the same session for WAN Balancer purposes to avoid breaking your authentication with the video service. Connections from one machine to a particular site are somewhat "sticky", and this is a feature, not a bug. Otherwise, many parts of the internet just wouldn't work as you expect.

On a larger network, this will tend to average out towards your balance targets. But on a home network, it's very common for one or two sessions to dominate your internet bandwidth consumption, and therefore show balanced traffic that does not match your target weights.

Finally, remember that the WAN Balancer settings for each link are not percentages. They are weights. That means the numbers don't need to add up to 100. When you set the targets for 70 and 30, you aren't strictly balancing 70% and 30%; you are balancing at weights 70 and 30. This isn't exactly the same ratio as 50 and 120 (it's close, but 29/71 is closer). You might do a little better setting weights for 5 and 12, or 50 and 120, to more accurately reflect the connection speeds.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 04-02-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 13.1 to protect 700Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty