Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default WAN Balancer keeps applying balancing even after disabling or uninstalling

Hi,
    I am preparing to add a second WAN and currently use the second WAN port to get access to the modem connected to that WAN port in preparation for the activation of the line.

I installed WAN Balancer to have a look at its configuration options, but now, I can't seem to disable it. Whether it is enabled, disabled or even uninstalled, my routes contain this:
    Code:
     = IPv4 Table balance = 
    	nexthop via 192.168.15.1  dev eth0 weight 50
    	nexthop via 192.168.100.1  dev eth1 weight 50
    And the balancing "happens" (i.e. killing half the traffic, as the second WAN is currently unconnected).

There is an easy workaround (i.e. setting a balance to 100/0) but it seems that I have forever lost the traditional WAN priority order (per Interface ID) and it has been replaced by whatever WAN Balancer's last settings were.

Is this expected?

Note: I also installed WAN Failover to try, but also uninstalled it for now. Whether it is installed or uninstalled doesn't seem to change the residual settings issue with WAN Balancer.
    Last edited by LaurentR; 12-23-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Untangler

To do what you want you need to use wan failover with balancer. Right now with just balancer enabled UT thinks thats a working connection because the link is up. You need to allow UT to understand that the link may be up but the path is down. You do this via failover. Setup failover and set at test (ping is fine) and when it sees the path is down it will route traffic correctly.

Untangler

Thanks for the answer. I think I understand how it works (will see when my second line goes live).

Right now, my issue with WAN Balancer is how _not_ to use it, i.e., even disabled or uninstalled, its weights are applied to traffic, which is unexpected.

Untangler

If balancer is disabled it should not be doing that, i have had weird issues like that in the past. Try boucning the interface.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I think I understand how it works (will see when my second line goes live).

Right now, my issue with WAN Balancer is how _not_ to use it, i.e., even disabled or uninstalled, its weights are applied to traffic, which is unexpected.
    That would be a bug if true, open a ticket with Untangle Support so they can confirm it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I just solved a support case with this. The issue is both WANs are connected to the same ISP over PPPoE which terminate at the same gateway. WAN Balancer will not work with both WANs having the same gateway.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Thanks for the feedback.
    In my case, I have one line connected to a working wireless provider, the other connected to a cable modem of a non-activated line (i.e. Untangle gets a DHCP address from the modem and the modem itself is accessible, but there is no internet connection behind it). 192.168.x.x subnets for the 2 WANs (they are both NATed) are different and also different from any of the LAN subnets.

With WAN Failover and WAN Balancer both uninstalled, the last set WAN Balancer weights are still applied and the "Table Balance" section in the routing table is still visible as seen on the original post.

Disable one of the WANs, save, re-enable the WAN and the table balance will be restored.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 12-29-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Untangler

Thanks for the feedback.
    I thought I tried that, but I'll try again. It's on a remote site so I'll wait to be local to try
    I'll get back to the thread when I have a shot at it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    I thought I tried that, but I'll try again. It's on a remote site so I'll wait to be local to try
    I tested it remotely so it's safe as long as the interface disabled is not the one being used to access it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast