Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default WAN Balancing Woes - Multi Wan not combining internet speeds

I am trying to use the wan balancer app to combine 2 - 6Mbs Dsl lines. However my speed tests only seem to utilize one of the two wan connections. Am I not understanding how the wan balancer works in untangle? I understand it is not true bonding but I have had a tplink r480t+ and pfsense and both are able to combine my connections to increase speeds for protocols that allow multiple connections(i.e. p2p sharing, usenet, speedtests). Does the untangle wan balancer work differently? Is it possible for me to combine the connections in untangle? Any help would be appreciated.

WAN balancer is not a WAN bonder. Untangle will do only one session per WAN so the max speed of any one session will be the speed of the WAN it exits.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

And for the record, you can't combine the speeds with PFSense either. An individual network session is limited to a single pipe's maximum bandwidth. You get more when the endpoint decides to generate more than one session. Now, on PFSense each session can go out a specific WAN, on Untangle each IP address is stuck to a single WAN, this avoids a slew of other problems.

So yes the behavior you're seeing is normal, and no there is no way to change it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Bummer. Thanks for response. Unfortunately for me I am rural internet and without combining multiple lines my speeds are terrible.
    I really like untangle great simple UI and the Webfilter just works, I guess its back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnumbxx View Post
    Bummer. Thanks for response. Unfortunately for me I am rural internet and without combining multiple lines my speeds are terrible.
    I really like untangle great simple UI and the Webfilter just works, I guess its back to the drawing board.
    You don't understand... there exists no device that does what you're attempting to do. Adding more lanes to a dirt road doesn't magically turn it into a freeway. Regardless of what you see with whatever "test". WAN Aggregators don't do what you think they do. To get one that actually works requires specialized hardware at the site, as well as a service online somewhere with a large contiguous pipe.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-25-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I understand it is not true balancing. But I, am able to get pfsense and my tplink router to route download traffic when multiple connections are available. So, that my torrent/usenet downloads utilize both of my internet connections. My download speeds are in fact doubled. If untangle is able to do that I would love to continue using it but I have not had success thus far.

Torrent downloads will utilize both WAN connections through Untangle as well.

I live in a rural area as well where I combine two Wireless services together. For a short while I combined 3 of the services.
    I use a Peplink Balance 210 Router that allows me to do WAN bonding. It creates 2 VPN pipes and the other end I use an Amazon Web Services instance. There are a number of options out there other than AWS. I run Untangle in bridge mode.
    There are advantages and disadvantages with doing this, but it does work. Be aware there is up to a 19% overhead doing this and you need to setup Persistence Rules for some websites which can reduce the joys of dual wan bonding.
    Prior to doing this I ran a Dual WAN Asus router and setup On the router a number of IP ranges to direct my streaming devices to a particular WAN to spread the load manually.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by ensnare View Post
    Torrent downloads will utilize both WAN connections through Untangle as well.
    I tried this and split the connections equally but did not find that it used both connections. The highest speed I could get was that of the lowest connection. I did read something about untangle not working with connections from the same ISP. I do have separate modems and physical connections but both connections do reside on the same gateway. I think pfSense gets around this with the monitor IP. I hope I am wrong and it does work, anyone able to achieve this? Any Tips?

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by atomicboy View Post
    I live in a rural area as well where I combine two Wireless services together. For a short while I combined 3 of the services.
    I use a Peplink Balance 210 Router that allows me to do WAN bonding. It creates 2 VPN pipes and the other end I use an Amazon Web Services instance. There are a number of options out there other than AWS. I run Untangle in bridge mode.
    There are advantages and disadvantages with doing this, but it does work. Be aware there is up to a 19% overhead doing this and you need to setup Persistence Rules for some websites which can reduce the joys of dual wan bonding.
    Prior to doing this I ran a Dual WAN Asus router and setup On the router a number of IP ranges to direct my streaming devices to a particular WAN to spread the load manually.
    I will have to look into this, unfortunately for me my technical level is no where near yours. I guess I have some research ahead of me. Thanks for the response. I have tried opnsense, pfsense, sophos & untangle. I really like untangle the best hands down, due to its ease of use and web filtering. If I could make it work would be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast