Untangler

Default Failover to Wireless Broadband

Hi all,

I'm just beginning to investigate solutions for inbound access in the event of a failure of our T1.

Basically, we're thinking about failing over to Wireless Broadband so that our on-call tech support people can still RDP to their desktops.

In our case, we're just looking at after-hours access. I know that during the regular business day, wireless broadband just doesn't have the capacity to handle our traffic, with all the random web surfing and crap that people are doing. We're okay with that since the tech support folks will already be in the office and have no need for the external internet connection.

I understand that in theory, the underlying physical connection type would be transparent to Untangle, but I'm curious if anyone has actually tried this to see how well it works.

Thanks in advance!

i assume it would work fine, as you said, UT wont know how that other eth connection connects to the new, as long as it works, i assume.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Untangler

Well, the I think the real trick is how to figure out what the external IP address is at that point over the wireless broadband. I'm looking at a Kyocera KR2 router to do this, but I don't think it supports no-ip or DynDNS in its firmware.

Do you think that just by having a PC inside the network running the No-IP or DynDNS client would be enough?