Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Update

Master Untangler

Default After Update

After Update the Outage duration Log Tab is missing from the Wan Fail over. Is it an issue or i have to do something to get that info again?

Or stick to normal reports?

Untangle Ninja

I just discovered this myself. I wanted to check whether there have been any sustained outages on the backup WAN interface, and found that log is gone now. Will it be returning?

Since it's basically the same information as Test Event log, it was removed in 9.3.0
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

It really isn't the same information as the Test Event Log at all. The Outage log showed periods of time where one WAN or the other was actually considered down, and showed it very concisely - this connection was down from this date and time until this date and time. All the Test Event Log shows is individual test events without regard to whether the failure resulted in an outage. It would take quite a bit of looking at the Test Event Log to ferret out when there were actual outages vs random failed tests. To me both logs showed useful information.

I would certainly vote for it's return.
    chaniska and mhamilton like this.

Outage info is in the report.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler

Yes but we have to wait for the report for 24 hours... the Earlier log helped to show issues in real time. It will be nice to have it again if its not a big issue.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Outage info is in the report.
    kind of. sort of. no, really not at all the same as what was in the outage event log.

the new implementation of WAN Failover in 9.2 was a big step forward, it really improved the module, made it almost perfect. 9.3 is a big step back.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 09-27-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    mhamilton likes this.

Untangler

Angry

Are you guys kidding me? Outage info was the best thing in the logging system! It gave an immediate snapshot for users to go complain to their ISPs during downtime and provide precise timestamps all in one go!

How can you compare

WITH

Do you see how in the above image, my tests happen every few SECONDS? To find outages, I will have to keep scrolling pages just to look for a word "fail" in rapid succession to

• a) find out that a connection failed
    • b) note down the start time and continue scrolling
    • c) note down the downtime end time which could quite possibly be after a multitude of pages.

As it is I was annoyed about no email alert system for the WAN failover that would fire off an email if a down interface doesn't come back up in X minutes and now you guys removed the only way of ever seeing how our interfaces perform in a bird's eye view.

Thanks guys. Really.
    johnsonx42 and chaniska like this.

I've filed a bug to readd the log in question.

http://bugzilla.untangle.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10639

Feel free to vote and/or comment.
    chaniska likes this.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangle Ninja

thanks. I voted. I can't think of further comment other than what's already been said here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast