Had

Default Does total WAN failure count as a failure for VRRP purposes

I am just looking at setting up VRRP and looking at the notes it states:

"Most critical hardware issues such as power outages, crashes, or freezes will immediately cause the VRRP broadcast to stop and the slave will immediately take over. Furthermore, if some common errors are detected in software such as the NIC being unplugged then the VRRP broadcast is stopped."

From the above it states that VRRP broadcast stops if a NIC is unplugged. Will the VRRP broadcast also stop if I'm running WAN Failover and all WANs go down due to tests failing without the NICs being unplugged?

VRRP broadcast on the localized network. So ISP 1 will have Untangle 1 WAN 1 and Untangle 2 WAN 1 connected. So both WANs can talk to each other. It has nothing to do with the ISP being down, only if the device itself is not responding.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Had

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    VRRP broadcast on the localized network. So ISP 1 will have Untangle 1 WAN 1 and Untangle 2 WAN 1 connected. So both WANs can talk to each other. It has nothing to do with the ISP being down, only if the device itself is not responding.
    OK I thought as much. Is WAN balancing / failover between two Untangle routers on the roadmap? I guess that would be an active / active setup.

You can already do that. Just configure VRRP and WAN Balancer and WAN Failover on both setups.
    Its more or less the same as doing VRRP on two interfaces (a WAN and a LAN) except now with three (two WANs and a LAN) or more.
    So you get redundancy on the WANs, but also redundancy on the local hardware.

The failure mode of a WAN is independent of the failure of the local hardware. If a WAN goes down it will be down for both local routers, switching from master to slave doesn't accomplish anything here.
    (With the exception if the WAN is down because you unplugged it or the NIC dies or something, but in that case VRRP would handle that)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Had

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    You can already do that. Just configure VRRP and WAN Balancer and WAN Failover on both setups.
    Its more or less the same as doing VRRP on two interfaces (a WAN and a LAN) except now with three (two WANs and a LAN) or more.
    So you get redundancy on the WANs, but also redundancy on the local hardware.

The failure mode of a WAN is independent of the failure of the local hardware. If a WAN goes down it will be down for both local routers, switching from master to slave doesn't accomplish anything here.
    (With the exception if the WAN is down because you unplugged it or the NIC dies or something, but in that case VRRP would handle that)
    Thanks for your help, I had thought that but wasn't sure how I would split our WAN traffic between each Untangle router. I have two FTTC/VDSL WANs each with their own VDSL modem both going into one Untangle router and doing WAN failover / balancing. If I were to setup another Untangle router for VRRP would I need to put a layer 2 switch between each VDSL modem and each Untangle router? I have some spare 5 port Netgear switches I could try it with if it's feasible. In affect:

Modem 1 > Switch > Untangle router 1
    Modem 2 > Switch > Untangle router 1

Modem 1 > Switch > Untangle router 2
    Modem 2 > Switch > Untangle router 2

Quote Originally Posted by Had View Post
    Thanks for your help, I had thought that but wasn't sure how I would split our WAN traffic between each Untangle router. I have two FTTC/VDSL WANs each with their own VDSL modem both going into one Untangle router and doing WAN failover / balancing. If I were to setup another Untangle router for VRRP would I need to put a layer 2 switch between each VDSL modem and each Untangle router? I have some spare 5 port Netgear switches I could try it with if it's feasible. In affect:

Modem 1 > Switch > Untangle router 1
    Modem 2 > Switch > Untangle router 1

Modem 1 > Switch > Untangle router 2
    Modem 2 > Switch > Untangle router 2
    Yes, thats how I would do it. That way you achieve redundancy on multiple levels.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.