Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default ddns (ddclient question)

i have set up ddns to use dnsomatic, i initially had the wring key for cloudflare set up on their website so updates didnt happen. i fixed that and did a search on here and found out how to manually update the DDNS.

however, it failed because using the command as is used my failover interface to determine the IP which currently has no credit on it, so it redirects to the ISP page.

i had to add -if eth0 as parameters to get it to check the IP on the primay connection.

is this just a quirk of me manually running ddclient from the terminal, if untangle runs will it select the currently active wan interface as the source for the WAN IP? I have done a search and couldnt find an answer, just slightly concerned if i add credit to the failover than its going to incorrectly update my DNS with the the failover IP rather than the primary WAN.

Ddclient will use any available WAN. You can add a route in /admin/index.do#config/network/routes to limit ddclient destination to one WAN.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Ddclient will use any available WAN. You can add a route in /admin/index.do#config/network/routes to limit ddclient destination to one WAN.
    thanks for the reply, thats a shame. i noticed there was an events system, so i wishfully clicked on wan failover hoping it would allow me to maybe issue a HTTP get or POST to a custom URL, that way i could handle this externally fairly easily, would be a neat way of handling events. i suppose i could set up syslog server and look for the events there.

Untangler

I saw that earlier, its slighly more subtle than that although I did also use something similar on my USG to update records so that I could resolve both interfaces remotely by DNS, but i also require a record which updates to either the Primary or failover IP, whichevr is currently in use.

On ddclient on the USG i added records for each of the WAN interfaces, and the main record was resolved using the LAN ethernet as the interface as this will route to the internet by whichever WAN happens to be in use at the time.

im guessing updating my ddclient.conf file is not a good idea as it will get overwritten at some point?

Untangler

having a search around, it was suggested by one of you guys that if you want to do anything funky with ddclient then you should disable untangles client and use a crontab entry and your own config file to achieve this, is this still the best/only way?

Untangler

one other question, any reason you havent updated to the latest version of ddclient in their source repository? that version supports the cloudflare v4 api.

We use the version that is packaged with Debian.

Untangler

We use the version that is packaged with Debian.
    Fair enough, as a test i just put on a version which supports cloudflare v4 and it works, i need to rescue my ddclient.conf from my USG and use that as a basis for untangle.

thanks for the support, much appreciated and really refreshing!

If you modify the Untangle via the CLI, turn off upgrades since it can go very wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast