Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Wan Failover started acting odd recently

Have two wans, a handful of rules and everything has always worked great. Rebooted untangle as a troubleshooting measure (was up 166days) and that seemed to work for a short while but back to oddness.

1 wan has been hard down (interface is up) via tests for the last 6 hours. I currently have balancer set to 50/50 and as stated a few rules that direct some traffic 100% to one wan and some 100% to the other with all else using 50/50 rule. This has always worked as configured until today. I am working from a host that is configured to go 100% to the wan that is up but my connectivity is intermittent. Pages will load but wont refresh and other pages just wont load. If i change balancer to 0 on the down connection everything works great. Change back to 50/50 and intermittent connectivity shortly there after. Any ideas?

Minor update: I changed the current rule my test host is using from source interface to ip range and this is functioning as it should be at the moment. However if i turn that rule off and just allow it to use 50/50 balancer, some traffic still get routed over the downed link and thus doesnt work.
    Last edited by ifican; 12-18-2019 at 09:00 AM.

That all sounds by design...

WAN Failover has tests the admin defines to determine the up/down state of the WANs.
    WAN Balancer simply divides your systems up over the available WANs as percentages are configured. WAN Balancer will not use a WAN marked as down.

So, if you have WAN Balancer configured for 50/50, and one of your WANs goes down, but the WAN Failover module's tests don't notice it's down, you're going to have a bad time 50% of the time.

So the question is, what tests are you using to determine down? Because a better test might be required, and beyond that it's also time to call that ISP and get that junk fixed.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Do you have any NAT rules in /admin/index.do#config/network/nat-rules ?

I would post a screen capture of the WAN Balancer rules and the IP of the testing PC. So we could review them for any that might match some of the time.

Edit: I'm assuming WAN Failover is showing the WAN 1 as down, otherwise WAN Balancer will not know it is down.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

status.PNGweights.PNG

No configured nat rules, only nat is the checkbox for when using interface set as wan. Also unless i am mistaken balancer rules should have no effect on a known down link.
    Last edited by ifican; 12-18-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Correct. If WAN Failover shows the WAN down, WAN Balancer should not route to it and direct traffic to the remain WAN that is up regardless of the rules. Please confirm that WAN Failover is showing that WAN as down.

Untangler

The pics in the previous post show good for me, but wouldnt be first time forum acted goofy.

Sorry, I missed that. Can you post the WAN Balancer rules?

Untangler

If we have determined that rules dont apply to downed interfaces not sure im following the need here. Also not there are quite a few more hosts not identified in the rules.

balance_rules.PNG

If you tell Balancer to force a given devices to a specific wan, that's what it's going to do even if that WAN is down.

You shouldn't have any rules on that tab at all for devices you want to be able to float.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

So thats not been my experience or understanding. Previously it didnt matter if there was a rule or not it worked as it was supposed too. As per jcoffin above rules also shouldnt matter. As a test right now, if i specifically apply the working link, all works fine. If i disable that rule or change the rule to the other wan interface, enabled or not, it goes back to mostly not working.

edit: have a host that untangle just will not route to good interface no matter what rule i input, just shut downed interface so only 1 interface up and its working now just fine.

edit: so bouncing that interface has fixed the issue and now the device is working as expected. I can within route rules configure a device pointing only at the down service interface and traffic still works. I am not sure what horked up but bouncing the interface seemed to clear it.
    Last edited by ifican; 12-18-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast