Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    I think what confuses us here (or at least me) is that I don't see what benefit you get from a proxy that untangle can't provide better in it's current form as an inline device?
    The only thing you'd gain with support for running untangle as a SOCKS proxy would be you could install it out of line and still use the HTTP features with only one box.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Sorry for not replying sooner but had other eggs to fry.
    ok I did not make myself clear we have 2 ISA servers that serve 2 networks & our clients connect to the internet via the 2 ISA servers & then through the untangle which is in a DMZ with a firewall connected to the outside router the design of the network I cannot change its cast in stone if know what I mean.
    I would like to get shot of ISA servers witch I referred to has external proxy’s sorry for the confusion that’s why I assumed a proxy would be part of the web cache that had been mentioned in other posts a few months ago.

And forgot to mention Untangle rocks
    Last edited by mac388; 01-28-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Default What's a proxy? Or "a proxy on your house!"

I must admit that I've been following the forum posts for a while and was hoping that a proxy would be included at some point in the future. On our network we are not able to point our client's web browsers to the gateway we have to point them to a proxy (in our case we are using Microsoft ISA 2000). Because Untangle doesn't incorpoate a proxy I have to run it in bridge mode on the other side of our ISAs and this prevents me from using the Active Directory connector functionality to apply differnt racks to different client groups which is one of the main things that I wanted to be able to do. I was hoping that with you enabling the web cache part of squid that you would logically take the next step and incorpoarte the proxy element as well. Unfortunately I'm still in a bit of a tangle!

Quote Originally Posted by johnking View Post
    On our network we are not able to point our client's web browsers to the gateway we have to point them to a proxy (in our case we are using Microsoft ISA 2000).
    What is the business reason for this requirement? I ask because I can't think of one, so I am curious.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I don't quite understand your question, I need to use a proxy for my web clients and having that built into the untangle would eliminate yet another device (which I thought was part of Untangles ethos) and would enable me to utilise the Active Directory connector.

Untangle Ninja

Most here filter http/https traffic with untangle directly no using a proxy.
    So instead of having a router and a proxy you just have untangle.

Unfortuately I'm not in a position to be able to do that, hence my request.

There is no supported proxy option with UT. There are some unsupported posts out there that say they have installed squid on the same box as UT and have it working, however should you follow those posts remember they are unsupported, and you will want to disable upgrades, as most upgrades will break something.

In the new version of UT that is in beta, it has "web cache", but that is not what you are looking for would be my guess, if you want a true proxy. Without knowing more information there is not a lot more we can really offer for advice/options, that I can see.

You are right, I am looking for a true proxy and I was hoping that Untangle might be heading in that direction as it would provide me with a one box solution for my network / business needs. I like what Untangle can do but I can't fully use its potential as it currently stands.

PCS
    Master Untangler

Could someone explain to me the need for a proxy with Untangle? What is the real difference in specifying an Untangle box as your gateway rather than connecting to a proxy server in the lan connection settings? I even looked up the definition wiki and it seems Untangle as a gateway provides this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast