Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I want to add a little more confusion here
    Technically speaking untangle with the new app web cache is a socks proxy
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangle Ninja

Ok, I think it is time to move this dissection to another thread!

The way Untangle works will not allow it to be a proxy.
    It has to be Inline with the traffic.

Agreed with webfool's comments.
    This discussion has nothing to do with 8.1.

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/W....22proxy.3F.22
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

as you wish.. It's in another thread!
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Quote Originally Posted by johnking View Post
    I don't quite understand your question, I need to use a proxy for my web clients and having that built into the untangle would eliminate yet another device (which I thought was part of Untangles ethos) and would enable me to utilise the Active Directory connector.
    My question is simple: Why do you need to use a proxy for your web clients?

You've stated a requirement, I'm asking, why is that a requirement? What benefit do you get by specifying a proxy?
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server
    A proxy server has a large variety of potential purposes, including:

* To keep machines behind it anonymous (mainly for security). Untangle does this to an extent with NAT.
    * To speed up access to resources (using caching). Web proxies are commonly used to cache web pages from a web server. (Untangle now does this with web cache)
    * To apply access policy to network services or content, e.g. to block undesired sites. (Untangle does this)
    * To log / audit usage, i.e. to provide company employee Internet usage reporting. (Untangle does this)
    * To bypass security/ parental controls. (No)
    * To scan transmitted content for malware before delivery. (Untangle does this)
    * To scan outbound content, e.g., for data leak protection. (No)
    * To circumvent regional restrictions. (No)

So Untangle already does most of what a "proxy" does, except without being a proxy. I echo Marks comments, what legitimate use does your ISA servers provide that Untangle does not? Untangle already does most everything ISA does from a policy, filter, and reporting stand point. Now that it does web cache, there is no reason to have ISA inline with Untangle.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    In computer networks, a proxy server is a server (a computer system or an application program) that acts as an intermediary for requests from clients seeking resources from other servers. A client connects to the proxy server, requesting some service, such as a file, connection, web page, or other resource, available from a different server. The proxy server evaluates the request according to its filtering rules. For example, it may filter traffic by IP address or protocol. If the request is validated by the filter, the proxy provides the resource by connecting to the relevant server and requesting the service on behalf of the client. A proxy server may optionally alter the client's request or the server's response, and sometimes it may serve the request without contacting the specified server. In this case, it 'caches' responses from the remote server, and returns subsequent requests for the same content directly.
    thats exactly what untangle does. Untangle *is* a proxy.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

It's just a transparent proxy that intercepts traffic as it transits the Untangle server. It does not, nor can it, work as a normal proxy server that requires browser reconfiguration.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Default A proxy on my house!

A proxy on your product is what I would like, not smart arse comments. Perhaps this was the wrong place to raise my request, maybe I should have been using live support or maybe I should reconsider renewing my subscription next year. I have read and understand all your quotes from wikipedia but that does not help my situation. The gateway on our networks leads to other internal networks and for security reasons I cannot use it as a gateway to the outside world therefore I need to point client web browsers to a proxy. Using Wikipedia definitions, what I am looking for is a "Web proxy" that I can specify via IP and port not a "Transparent proxy". My initial query was really looking to see whether this was going to be implemented in the future or not, a simple "yes" or "no" would have been sufficient.

No
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast