Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Johnking, getting upset serves no purpose. You do realize that a network design that has the gateway of last resort, NOT on the path to the Internet isn't normal right?

I'm trying to think of any security reasons that would have dictated a network design like that. The only use cases I can come up with have you using a proxy as a sort of poor man's NAC but only when it comes to Internet connectivity.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnking View Post
    A proxy on your product is what I would like, not smart arse comments. Perhaps this was the wrong place to raise my request, maybe I should have been using live support or maybe I should reconsider renewing my subscription next year. I have read and understand all your quotes from wikipedia but that does not help my situation. The gateway on our networks leads to other internal networks and for security reasons I cannot use it as a gateway to the outside world therefore I need to point client web browsers to a proxy. Using Wikipedia definitions, what I am looking for is a "Web proxy" that I can specify via IP and port not a "Transparent proxy". My initial query was really looking to see whether this was going to be implemented in the future or not, a simple "yes" or "no" would have been sufficient.
    For myself, I was genuinely trying to understand your requirement.

From your description, it sounds like using the untangle as the default gateway for your network with static routes would accomplish the same thing.

Although it is unclear how this increases security. I'm sure you have your reasons, but to answer your question, it is unlikely that untangle with ever act as a out of line proxy for http.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I agree, but what purpose does renaming a thread "A proxy on your house!" serve apart from aggravate a customer? I accept that our network maybe somewhat unusual but that element is out of my control and is the environment within which I have to operate.

i doubt there was any malicious intent; he just likes to joke around and reference things.

I didn't get the whole "proxy on your house" joke?
    edit: oh, runkel explained its a shakespeare reference.

All joking aside there are several answers to your question. Pick the one that best fits you:

- No, untangle will not "include" a proxy because it is a transparent proxy.
    - No, untangle will not include a socks proxy. It is a gateway solution. You are free to stick a socks proxy behind untangle if you want to do that.
    Last edited by dmorris; 02-02-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnking View Post
    I agree, but what purpose does renaming a thread "A proxy on your house!" serve apart from aggravate a customer? I accept that our network maybe somewhat unusual but that element is out of my control and is the environment within which I have to operate.
    Umm. That's just a little thin skinned don't you think? This isn't even "your" thread. This line of inquiry was started by mac388 and exists because of the massive amount of misinformation about what is and isn't a proxy.

Sheesh. In any case it was just a little joke. I've modified the thread title.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I'm still reeling from Dirk not getting that joke... Didn't you have to take a Shakespeare class in high school?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I'm still reeling from Dirk not getting that joke... Didn't you have to take a Shakespeare class in high school?
    well if its a reference to romeo and juliet, i think the line is actually 'a plague on both your houses' which I still don't really understand the reference.

Never the less, it is clearly offensive. ...
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

You're correct that "a pox on your houses" is a misquote, but it's done is just about every "modernized" version of Romeo and Juliet. It also shows up in Robin Hood's story a few times, and I'm sure in other English literature.

Oh well, perhaps it is a bit obscure. Perhaps the fact that I got it simply illustrates the reality that I read way too much!
    NexgenAppliances.com

In the States "a pox on your houses" may just be some obscure literary quotation however, here in England "a pox on your houses" is a highly offensive remark. If you wish to be taken more seriously in the international arena then might I suggest that your employees need to be less parochial in their views and comments.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234