Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default A serious discussion about what is and isn't a proxy.

Seems to Work Well on a prolient ml110

will there ever be a proxy server now that a web cache is part of untangle

Untangle Ninja

No untangle is not a proxy. It is and Will be a inline device.

Default What's a proxy? Or "a proxy on your house!"

I know its not a proxy
    I am asking will the proxy part of squid web cache
    be implemented as a part of the new web cache rack

Untangle Ninja

the answer is still no.
    the web cache module dose not change the way untangle works.

and it dose not add any proxy feature.
    it just adds the a cache function for webtraffic.

I guess we are unclear what you mean by "proxy part of squid web cache"

from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Maybe I'll make another post about this.

"web cache" does not equal "proxy."

The two have often been historically combined, however they are two separate functions. A proxy does not necessarily have web caching, and a web cache does not necessarily support being installed as a proxy.

Untangle is the latter case. Untangle supports web caching but it works just like all untangle apps work - by manipulating the traffic transparently as it passes through untangle.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Having the ability to switch from router or proxy so as to eliminate the use of external web proxies this is one thing I and many others would like to see

Quote Originally Posted by mac388 View Post
    Having the ability to switch from router or proxy so as to eliminate the use of external web proxies this is one thing I and many others would like to see
    You're going to have to be more clear as to what you want to do because the word "proxy" has so many meanings as to be useless.

I really don't understand your sentence as written, what feature do you need the untangle to have in order to "eliminate the use of external web proxies"?
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I think what confuses us here (or at least me) is that I don't see what benefit you get from a proxy that untangle can't provide better in it's current form as an inline device?
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5.2 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    I think what confuses us here (or at least me) is that I don't see what benefit you get from a proxy that untangle can't provide better in it's current form as an inline device?
    See this is where the confusion comes in.

Proxy does not mean cache. There are plenty of proxies that don't cache.

Before 8.1, untangle was such a proxy for certain protocols. That's why integrating squid was such a challenge.

In any case, Untangle now provides for caching of http data integrated with the UVM. The data is still protected by your network policies, but is served from cache when possible.

No external cache/proxy is required.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast