Untangler

Default Does Web Cache work with SSL Traffic

As the subject says, without digging into how squid is setup, does the Web Cache have anything special to cache SSL pages or is it strictly html/files only?

no, it only listens on port 80
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I don't know how any cache can work with SSL since the entire conversation is encrypted. it wouldn't know what to cache.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

I was just curious, I've read about some voodoo one can do to make squid cache SSL, but I thought the same thing of "how is caching something that is encrypted?"

I'm trying to optimize my web cache machine by making sure everything bypasses the UVM except for traffic that the web cache will work with.

Right now, it bypasses all protocols except TCP and then another filter that bypasses all traffic not on port 80.

Sounds like an optimized setup right??