Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    It no longer puts the cache in /data
    It puts it in the main partition.
    Ah ok, guess it doesn't need that big hard drive anymore. How painful of a process is it for me to remove the old hard drive, install a new (smaller one) and load the latest untangle image and then transfer all subscription service to the new installation?

Any wiki or forum links one can point me to that explains how I would do the process?

Take a look at http://forums.untangle.com/installat...r-license.html.

It's quite simple really.
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Quote Originally Posted by knightmb View Post
    Ah ok, guess it doesn't need that big hard drive anymore. How painful of a process is it for me to remove the old hard drive, install a new (smaller one) and load the latest untangle image and then transfer all subscription service to the new installation?

Any wiki or forum links one can point me to that explains how I would do the process?
    It never needed that large of a hard disk. Anything over 80gb is overkill in almost every application. Most applications can get away with a 32gb SSD, and still only use 1/3rd of the drive space.

As for migrating it, I'd boot the thing into single user mode, mkdir /datanew, cp everything from /data into /datanew. Remove the fstab entry for /data, umount /data and mv /datanew to /data. From there I'd modify the swap partition to point at /dev/sda5 instead of /dev/sda2. Finally, I'd boot the device with a GParted disk, destroy sda2, and sda5, remake sda5 as swap space, and expand sda1 to fill the disk.

Process from end to end would take about an hour, and doesn't involve reinstalling anything. But I'm crazy that way.

Now with my appliances I wouldn't even bother because in 15min I can pull an image off my image server to reinstall untangle, 20min in I've got my backup on my laptop ready to rock, 25min in I have all of the modules installed that I need, the sub moved and start the restore.

End to end redeploy time is about 30min.

Fresh installs are easy too, the store account lets you move your sub in a few clicks. All you need to take care of is ensuring you have a config backup safe, because once you move your sub from the old install to the new one, the backups won't be accessible anymore.

Procedure:

1.) Secure a copy of the latest Untangle backup or make one
    2.) Reinstall Untangle
    3.) Log into store account using my account button in Untangle UI and move subscription.
    4.) Install a copy of all the apps that were there before
    5.) Apply backup and reboot

Untangle's restore once you get through it is as simple as I can imagine it, and it works every time as long as you're restoring to the same version, on the same hardware.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Awesome, thanks everyone for the help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12