Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Increase the Web Cache performance

I've been using the Web Cache for untangle for a while and when I first started it was wonderful. The past few releases though, the amount of data it caches has been decreased further for performance reasons for other users I assume? This resulted in my web cache from being about 10% to 12% effective at caching repeat web traffic down below 1% due to how little data it will cache on the drive now.

When it was using the /data partition before with the higher limit, it was awesome, but now it seems to be kind of an unnecessary network device with performance no-where near it's former self a few versions ago.

I don't really want to hack up my untangle box, so where would I put in a feature request for some future GUI options to increase the cache size, location, etc?

bugzilla.untangle.com
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    bugzilla.untangle.com
    Would it really be considered a bug or merely just a design/feature request or is that also the same website to ask for a request?

Quote Originally Posted by knightmb View Post
    I've been using the Web Cache for untangle for a while and when I first started it was wonderful. The past few releases though, the amount of data it caches has been decreased further for performance reasons for other users I assume? This resulted in my web cache from being about 10% to 12% effective at caching repeat web traffic down below 1% due to how little data it will cache on the drive now.

When it was using the /data partition before with the higher limit, it was awesome, but now it seems to be kind of an unnecessary network device with performance no-where near it's former self a few versions ago.

I don't really want to hack up my untangle box, so where would I put in a feature request for some future GUI options to increase the cache size, location, etc?
    more and more sites are actually generated on the fly with no or little static content. This means caching effectiveness is going to go up or down depending on the sites your users visit.

Quote Originally Posted by knightmb View Post
    Would it really be considered a bug or merely just a design/feature request or is that also the same website to ask for a request?
    Same place for both.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

In 99% of cases, Web performance is inversely related to the cache size. As such, its unlikely we'll add a way to increase your web cache size in the UI as then people would turn it up to the max and have the worst possible web performance.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

That depends on the implementation. properly tuned squid can have an "enormous" cache and give excellent web performance...

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    That depends on the implementation. properly tuned squid can have an "enormous" cache and give excellent web performance...
    "properly tuned" in this case means "not running on the box that is processing all the network traffic" and "has a near-line storage on multiple spindles."

Turning your local box into a webserver for the entire Internet (which is what you're doing when you run an HTTP proxy) is good for your bandwidth used and can decrease average latency, but it comes at a great cost to that box in terms of CPU and I/O used.

We have over 30,000 untangles running in the real world today. We have something like 100 years of network development and management experience on the Untangle team. So, you can give us some credit when we say "this is bad for the Untangle system" we actually have a reason, ie we've seen it be bad for the Untangle system.

It isn't (just) some plot to deny you guys a new knob to play with.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:

and i was just saying it can be done..so chill dude..i was not denigrating untangle itself..but you don't need to cache the entire net and you don't have to run it on a san either. As i said properly tuned...now if you want to get into a pissing contest that's fine..but that's not my intent nor was it my intent. I don't know what untangle uses for it's cache..frankly i don't care right now...but trust me i've run more than 500 users off ONE box using LOCAL storage..and that was 20 years ago..it's still easily doable today on local storage and machines. hell it's doesn't even have to be anything over the top. So before you start swinging make sure you are swinging for the right reasons.

You (and others) seem to miss my entire point. Yes, if you ran squid all by itself on it's own server, you can do a lot. But NOT on the box that is doing what the Untangle is doing already.

I'm sorry if you felt attacked, that was not my intent.

I simply want to make it clear that we have real world reasons for doing what we're doing.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast