Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Webcache blocking all connectivity from smart TV

Hi all, first post so go easy.

I recently did some reading up on untangles web cache and as my 14 day trial had, somehow, expired, I stumped up the cash for the paid version.

All seemed to be working fine until I attempted to browse my local network via my Samsung smart TV, I kept getting error messages indicating I was connected to the local network but not the internet but even though I was connected locally I could not browse the local network...

After some hours of troubleshooting and resetting network hardware and running cables and reconfiguring and re-reconfiguring, it suddenly dawned on me that the only thing different since I last browsed my LAN is web cache is installed and running.

Initially I didn't think there was any chance web cache could be interfering with local traffic, especially when I found that although I was supposedly not connected to the internet, I could, oddly enough, browse said internet!?!?

Anyway with the more-or-less perfect set up of the TV now in tatters, I decided the only thing left to try was to 'switch off' webcache.

Sure enough after switching the web cache off everything returned to normal, no errors, no connection issues and I could browse my LAN just as before.

So, to my question..... is there any way I can get all traffic from my smart TV to go 'around' the web cache or tell the web cache not to intercept/interfere with traffic from the TV?

I've paid for the web cache so I'd like to use it but not if it is hindering me in my day-to-day use of the TV.

Many thanks in advance.

Al

In config/networking/advanced/bypass rule add a rule to by pass the ip of the device.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Nice, thanks.

But won't that then have that device bypass everything? Like all of untangles protection?

Is there a way to have this device just bypass the web cache module?

Thanks again.

Yes there is, buy the policy manager, make another rack that doesn't have the web cache module, and use policies to push your TV into that rack.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

if you have Policy Manager you can send traffic for that device to a rack without Web Cache.

otherwise you can try and figure out (this is a guess, might not even be the problem) what the tv is connecting to that doesn't like Web Cache and exempt that site from the Web Cache - i'm thinking the tv can't connect to some site on the internet it uses to check its internet connection, then throws a fit when you try to access local content because of it.

unless the tv does something weird and/or the tv traffic is hitting the Untangle before the local content, it shouldn't be a problem. even if it is hitting Untangle first i don't think the Web Cache cares as they would probably both be non-Wan interfaces.

Thanks all,

All good ideas but I'm trying to get everything in the world for nothing at all lol.

I do think that hlarsen has hit the proverbial nail bang, square on the head.

Wonder if wiresharking the tv's packets would tell me where it's trying to check it's connectivity to, then, as hlarsen said put a bypass in webcache for that domain.

Some more playtime for me I think.

Many thanks to all who contributed, dwasserman's bypass rule is working for now.

I'll report back with my wiresharking findings, thanks again mr.larsen!

i wouldn't even bother with wireshark - just set up Firewall to log all sessions coming out of the tv.

Haha, well, yeah, that`d work too.

A quick poke around with wireshark shows that when the TV starts up it attempts connection to 239.255.255.250 which is SSDP/UPnP stuff, but that seems to be it.... it doesn`t seem to do anything else, even when doing network status tests through the TV`s troubleshooting menus.

Would there be any point in putting the 239.255.255.250 in the bypass for webcache and then remove the general bypass/es dwasserman suggested?

I have firewall logging traffic to and from the TV now, will report back in a bit

Thanks

In the same menu, bypass by destination ip only
    But any ip address from 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 are reserved to multicast.
    Last edited by dwasserman; 08-29-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Hi again all,

sorry to resurrect this but I had to upgrade to UT v10 today and after much faffing about, WebCache is blocking my smart TV again.

Attempting to re-create the rule that dwasserman suggested last time but UT 10 is quite different to 9.4.4.

Definitely WebCache that`s blocking it as if I `power off` the module, the TV works fine, `power it back on` and it`s failing all the network tests again.

What`s the v10 secret??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast