Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Lightbulb Web Cache - new thoughts?

Hello All,

Having read through a number of the threads in the web cache forum, I am very cognizant of the fairly negative (or at least very narrowly defined) outlook for the usage of the module among employees of Untangle. These appear to be for good reason, see this thread for a primer by mrunkel, sky-knight, and dmorris.

Having acknowledged this, due to the continued migration of many organizationsí servers to cloud services, I see a place for a web cache with a large disk cache and high file size limits for very specific uses. What I would love to see is the ability to run web cache with all sites excluded by default, and the ability to add only sites which for which caching is desired, i.e. Dropbox, Windows Updates, Apple Updates, Office 365 (email, Sharepoint, SkyDrive/OneDrive), Google Drive, Google Apps, etc.

A couple of the clients I currently service are heavy users of Dropbox, and a fairly large proportion of their bandwidth usage involves users pushing files up to Dropbox, and the DB clients on several machines downloading them. Overlooking the fact that they should probably be using internally hosted storage for sharing their files, a web cache with a large local cache and high file size limits could save these organizations a huge portion of their bandwidth usage. Same applies to organizations using Office 365 or Google for their primary email and file storage.

Anybody willing to offer some thoughts on this before I go ahead and post a feature request?

Cheers!

Since most of the sites mentioned are HTTPS, no proxy is going to help. Dropbox in particular uses hard-coded certs to protected from man-in-the-middle proxies.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

That's too bad. I thought it might be possible to work around that in combination with the HTTPS Inspector. Would that still be relevant to services like Sharepoint on Office 365?

My thought is that if this configuration would be useful, it would add quite a bit of value to the Web Cache module.

web cache will "benefit" from HTTPS inspector, however like jcoffin says dropbox and some other apps use hard-coded certs so you can't inspect them because the won't trust the cert signed by your NGFW even if you add that CA to your client.

Otherwise, all HTTPS inspected traffic will run through web cache as regular HTTP before being re-encrypted.
    Beware, I suspect the process of unencrypting and reencrypting all HTTPS traffic would be a net speed loss even with web cache.
    So if your sole purpose is to cache (no web filter, virus blocker, etc) its probably better to do nothing.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Beware, I suspect the process of unencrypting and reencrypting all HTTPS traffic would be a net speed loss even with web cache.
    Seconded, with the caveat that the goal here seems not as much the performance of this specific traffic, but in reducing total WAN bandwidth use... which may improve throughput for other traffic.
    bkp likes this.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Something like IPCOP Update Accelerator. I run an IT company and its a pain when a pc comes in and we have to do Windows updates and other updates as it uses all the bandwidth. I can't find an option on Untangle to increase the cache size or to see which Windows updates are cached if they are. Maybe Untangle could have a look at update accelerator and do something similar but allow for hard drive allocation. Also in larger companies something like that is a must.

Untangler

That's correct. There are times of the day, even with the Bandwidth Control module active and configured, that the link is saturated and any browsing is pretty much a losing battle. To be able to keep the bulk of the DB synchronization traffic off the link would have been the goal.

I just took a look at IPCOP Update Accelerator mentioned by Revolution, and that would certainly address the updates side of things.
    Last edited by jcharters; 07-08-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
    Something like IPCOP Update Accelerator. I run an IT company and its a pain when a pc comes in and we have to do Windows updates and other updates as it uses all the bandwidth.
    Microsoft provides a solution for update caching.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb332157.aspx
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Microsoft provides a solution for update caching.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb332157.aspx
    Thanks jcoffin. I'm quite familiar with WSUS and do use it at several clients. Unfortunately it's not a very friendly solution for small organizations, and of course it only supports MS updates.

If you're just looking to deal with dropbox, I'd just use bandwidth control to prioritize dropbox stuff as limited (or limited severely or whatever.) Application Control will identify it, then Bandwidth Control will limit it.
    This means it will use very little bandwidth even if there is free bandwidth.

dropbox can be annoying on small links because the syncing will suck bandwidth even if those files are not of interest to the user.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast