Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Untangler

I did not mean my post to be flame bait in any way. $OurFavoriteCompany was used strictly as a placeholder and in no way was supposed to imply that MS was your favorite company or mine. There are people who would say that same thing about Google, Yahoo, Apple, etc being critical domains. Everybody feels that the domains they use are critical. As to your suggestion about my personal preference, I have no favorite large companies and certainly not the ones that you suggest. Most large companies are like psychopaths except you can't lock them up.

The entire domain microsoft.com was not blocked merely the URL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink which some might consider to be spam. Stop and think about it for a moment, MS is using the default page to direct users to their own ad-ridden portal page. Now I don't think they are spammers, every vendor does this sort of thing but a classification of spam is not so far out in left field. The zvelo web categorization service used by Untangle is not run by incompetents and many of the classifications are done by humans. So mistakes do happen. They are used by many major ISP's, AV vendors, etc so a miscategorization is usually caught pretty quickly. There is always a tradeoff when using any technology and with web filtering there is always the potential that something useful is blocked or that something that should be blocked is allowed.

Again, I mean no disrespect in my reply. I always strive to show respect to everyone in these forums.

It says "possible risk" so I'm assuming the detected some malware associated with that go.com fwlink URL, hence its been categorized as spam.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

And don't forget in this case the zVelo filter is likely operating on their automatic categorization algorithm. It does some strange things from time to time.

Fortunately, the answer is simple. Create a pass list with items that need passed now, and submit the site for re-categorization. The updates happen within a day or two, and life goes on.

It's annoying, but part of maintaining any real content control system.

Anyway, I was musing on how that site got there when I made my comment. It wasn't targeting for or against any entity. Dirk put it in the queue to be looked at, that's all that can be done really.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Hi all, new to the forum, but am curious about site submission. There are several holes in the DB but when I search the forums for answers on how to submit a site all of the threads are old and closed. The wiki thread says to click on the thread "web site submision tool" but I don't see where it exists. We do have a subscription but thought I would post here to see if anyone has an answer before I go through customer support, which always seems to drag on.

thx

Master Untangler

For the paid web filter you can test the classification of a website and request reclassification here: http://zvelo.com/partners/test-a-site

And in the off chance you're asking about Web Filter Lite, take a look at the top of this page. There's a handy submit URL button.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12