Default issue blocking site and webfilter cache time

Hello,

I am using the paid version of Web Filter. My wife wanted snapchat blocked from our son using it. I noticed the snapchat.com is not listed in the social media catagory so I added it to my block list two or three nights ago. It did not take affect right away. I check it again this morning and it showed blocked Reason : Blocked Per Mom. Now I tested the Temporary unblock. How long does the Client Bypass last? I unblocked, saved and re-blocked and still I am able to get to snapchat.com from various different devices on the network. I also cleared the "Clear Category URL cache" and I can still get to the site. I recall when I used Web Filter Lite this was not an issue with blocking and unblocking sites.

Logs (pacific time):
    2013-05-04 10:51:32 am
    snapchat.com
    /
    false
    false
    Client Bypass
    unblocked

2013-05-04 10:33:23 am
    snapchat.com
    /
    true
    true
    in URLs Block list
    blocked per mom

I did submit snapchat.com to be categorized as Social Media it this morning.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by wharfratjoe; 05-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.

It depends on your settings.
    If you have unblock set to temporary, it will be only for your IP for 1 hour, or until you reboot Untangle (or reboot Web Filter).

The category cache is unrelated.

Web Filter Lite does not support unblocking. You can disable unblocking in Web Filter by setting Unblock to "None" and it will behave just like Web Filter Lite.
    Last edited by dmorris; 05-04-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: oops, edit for correctness
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Well from your statement "If you have unblock set to temporary, it will be only for your IP for 1 hour, or until you reboot Untangle (or reboot Web Filter)."

My research "I am able to get to snapchat.com from various different devices on the network."

The 1 ip doesn't make sense. Could something be broke in my system? I may open a ticket if this persits

my wife's ip is 172.16.0.104 and another I test from is IP 172.16.0.50. The 172.16.0.50 does NOT show up in the web filter logs but I can get to the site. Shouldn't the 172.16.0.50 be blocked then?
    Last edited by wharfratjoe; 05-04-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wharfratjoe View Post
    my wife's ip is 172.16.0.104 and another I test from is IP 172.16.0.50. The 172.16.0.50 does NOT show up in the web filter logs but I can get to the site. Shouldn't the 172.16.0.50 be blocked then?
    No. If it isn't in the logs, then Web Filter isn't scanning it, so it won't block it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Well I stopped and restarted Webfilter per your post and the snapchat.com is still accessible. Something isn't right.

Maybe a reboot is need for untangle.

Thanks Dirk. I will post or open a support ticket if this persists.
    Last edited by wharfratjoe; 05-04-2013 at 11:43 AM.

If Web Filter isn't scanning no amount of changing Web Filter's settings nor rebooting Web Filter/Untangle will change that.
    You just need to check why Web Filter isn't scanning it.
    If you want us to check your configuration, just email support@untangle.com