Untanglit

Default Home User Web Filtering Best Practice - Is this possible?

I have things mostly working but its not ideal.

What I'd really like is the following:

No captive portal login required unless you access a blocked site.

If the site is blocked, based on your login credentials you may or may not be able to bypass the restriction.

Is this possible and how so?

At present, my configuration requires everyone to login to the captive portal before any web browsing - not ideal especially on tablets, iPhones, etc.

Thx

Untangle Ninja

From my point of view, best practice is going to start with not bending the Captive Portal app to a task it isn't intended for (with the caveat, of course, that typical home users don't have an alternative). A more traditional authentication system is preferable.

That said, I'm not aware of any way to do what you want. Authentication of some sort will come first; it's not conditional in the sense you're after.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    From my point of view, best practice is going to start with not bending the Captive Portal app to a task it isn't intended for (with the caveat, of course, that typical home users don't have an alternative). A more traditional authentication system is preferable.

That said, I'm not aware of any way to do what you want. Authentication of some sort will come first; it's not conditional in the sense you're after.
    May not be exactly what you are after, but I sometimes need to browse to sites that are blocked, I used to bypass the address of the PC I was using at the time, and then un-bypass it after, but now what I have done is this:

Default rack, web filter on, but no captive portal
    2nd rack, Web filter off, captive portal on

I have then set up a policy rule so that if I (or any one else) try's to access www.test.com (a random URL that I decided to use) then it gets passed to the 2nd rack, that then prompts for the Captive Portal login, and then (if successful) allows access to any sites.

just set a password on the web filter block page.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com