Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Safe Search Severe Problem With Google

I am implementing a Non-Profit Complete package for a school, with Web Filter and SSL Inspector enabled for the Student Rack policy. I am testing my settings at home (I have the home complete subscription), and noticed a significant problem with the safe search.

The settings are working when enabled, however generic bad search terms (ie "boob") still bring up questionable results in a Google search. However, the exact same search terms are blocked correctly when using Bing.

Could this be an issue with Google? At my school I have the freedom to block Google search and use Bing, however another school that I am helping uses Google Apps for Education, and thus does not have that luxury.

This is a severe problem for schools! According to what I see with my tests. only the moderate safe search option is being used with Google. Can this either be resolved quickly, or the ability to block search terms be added? I am not asking to block via keywords, but only words in search terms, which I would imagine the SSL Inspector should be able to identify, since I see the search URLs in the reports.

Master Untangler

With google having multiple safe search settings, I believe enforcement via Untangle goes for the safer option with the Moderate.

At the end of the day, Untangle is still a list based filter, which there is nothing wrong with. However, due to that, searching "Boob" will find some questionable results, as well as some false positives. It's not a pure content-aware that does the full in place scanning.

May I suggest instead of attempting to wall off the entire 'bad' part of the internet, which COIPA *does not* require you to do, maybe use this as a teachable moment with the students about appropriate and innapopriate content?

Source: K-12 Tech Coord for 10 years now, we filter BARE MIN of what we are required to by law.

Untangler

Thank you for your reply.

I understand about how Untangle works, and it will be much better than the out-of-date failing system we have in place now. However, not all schools are alike (obviously). For non-profit schools, with tight tolerances, tighter budgets, and concerned parents and donors, strong filtering is a requirement, not a luxury. Yes, we have teachers who do a great job with these "teachable moments", however I'd rather filter too much and then back off, instead of the other way around, and risk exposing children to dangerous content. There is no argument when a 3rd grader is in the library with the whole class working on a project, and an innocent search result turns ugly. Although the teacher deftly used this as a "teachable moment", the child was un-enrolled from the school immediately by the parents.

Also, I know that CIPA simply states for schools to filter web content "to the best of their ability", however that is more of an issue when obtaining ISP service via eRate, which is becoming more popular with low budget schools.

I do not want to turn this into an argument, but I'd rather the "safe search" option in the Web Filter force the strict safe search, which it appears to do with Bing.

Source: K-12 Building Tech Coordinator for 8 years, 7-12 Technology Educator for 8 years, IT Project Manager for 3 years.

I will change it to safe=strict in v13.

The old API only had 'safe=active' which now means moderate.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

dmorris: that is great news! Do you have an estimated time frame of when v13 will be available with that implemented?

soon
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Ok, I'll look every 10 minutes... F5... F5... F5.

dmorris- This would be a wonderful change. In fact it's currently the only thing keeping me from switching from my current web filter, as I currently have a work around with them. I understand that you can't give a set date for the release, but would you be able to provide some sort of rough estimate (ie- 1-3 weeks, 2-4 months, etc.), so that I would be able to more accurately plan my migration to Untangle?

Master Untangler

It would be cool if the level was configurable somehow.

Mind you, having kids from 8 to 16 at home I definitely would welcome the "strict" settings.
    Untangle 16.0.1 (Build: 20201011T124207) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Default Slightly O.T

You can do this now.

you can use dnsmasq to redirect the URL

similar to this custom option, in Configuration / Network [Advanced] [DNS & DHCP]:

Code:
    address=/www.google.com/216.239.38.120 #SafeSearch
    address=/www.google.co.uk/216.239.38.120
    address=/www.google.ca/216.239.38.120
    address=/www.google.fr/216.239.38.120
    address=/www.google.it/216.239.38.120
    address=/www.google.es/216.239.38.120
    address=/www.google.nl/216.239.38.120
    address=/www.google.rs/216.239.38.120
    point the students clients to NGFW for DNS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast