Master Untangler

Default Cryptocurrency Category

At work, we spend a reasonable amount of time blocking cryptocurrency sites, and removing mining software from desktops...

Does anyone know if Web Filter will get a cryptocurrency category at some point?

Right now, it is all over the place. Some exchanges are categorized as "Online Financial Tools", some are random like "Music", etc.

I know that a Web Filter category isn't the 'fix all' (and I'm not claiming it is), but it is useful for some casual use/research prevention by end users.

Jason
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 12-22-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Untangle Ninja

I know nothing about the mechanics of cryptocurrency so I’m asking this out of ignorance: Is this something Application Control could help with as well?

I found with blocking outbound connections to well-known mining pools (exchanges) and tarpitting p2p, it's highly effective blocking cryptocurrency miners.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

That's similar to how my business does it.

I guess I can just find a list of them (or maybe get the one we use at work), and manually enter it in the Block Sites section of Web Filter.

As a starting point, here is the blacklist the NoCoin chrome extension uses. As it is on GitHub, I assume it is OK to link to:
    https://github.com/keraf/NoCoin/blob.../blacklist.txt

Or for those that want an easily importable JSON version of that list, see below (the extension is still TXT, but they are JSON format). I know the list imports, but I don't guarantee that the effectiveness of the list, nor that all of the syntax in the filter definitions are 100% correct for Untangle - I took the filter definitions straight from the NoCoin list unmodified. I will say the few I spot checked were blocked as expected, though.

Untangle Web Filter Cryptocurrency Block List.txt

And here is a list with the top 30 cryptocurrency exchanges and major cryptocurrency home websites blocked:

Untangle Web Filter Cryptocurrency Block List 2.txt
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 12-22-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Untangler

Miners have become a real problem. Heck, malware has become a much more serious issue with the leak of state sponsored malware into the wild for everyone to modify and re-release. Grim times.

I've restored to using Reboot Restore RX on all home laptops and not using an AV any longer. The machines self-restore back to base-line upon reboot so I don't have to worry about the security theater any longer.

Nevertheless, I recommend running a Pi-Hole on your network, there are several anti-miner lists out now for it.

Master Untangler

I don't really find pi-hole value added over the filtering I can already do in Untangle. More complexity isn't better, in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
    Miners have become a real problem. Heck, malware has become a much more serious issue with the leak of state sponsored malware into the wild for everyone to modify and re-release. Grim times.

I've restored to using Reboot Restore RX on all home laptops and not using an AV any longer. The machines self-restore back to base-line upon reboot so I don't have to worry about the security theater any longer.

Nevertheless, I recommend running a Pi-Hole on your network, there are several anti-miner lists out now for it.
    Curious, what happened in your past interweb experience that now this extreme action makes sense. You might as well boot to a Linux Live CD. I think you've created an environment that doesn't allow for any investigation of what happened during the previous session and consequence/reaction removed from the equation. Standard vs Administrator user?
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

A morsel of food for thought...our only hope is a complete TNO policy with comprehensive whitelisting across all our digital assists! Everyone in the know, knows this practice of old is true but doesn't want to implement its practice. It's only a matter of time before you're visited by DOOM!
    Begs again the question: What's more expensive, education or ignorance?

"Tackling the insider threat: Where to start?"
    https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2018...nsider-threat/
    -------

D'oh!

"Thousands of Government Websites Hacked to Mine Cryptocurrencies"
    https://thehackernews.com/2018/02/cr...g-malware.html
    -------