Default Syntax for blocking top level domains in Web Filter

I've searched the forums and found the following for creating Web Filter rules that block entire top level domains:

forums.untangle.com/installation/35914-blocking-top-level-domains.html (sorry can't link directly until 5 posts)

After implementing my rules with the suggested format --> *?.date/* it looks like the syntax I'm using is not working as desired. In the attachment you can see the text is being matched to the string, but is not limited to the .date domain. Anything with "date" in the string is being blocked.

Does anyone have a recommended syntax they use in Web Filter to block TLDs?

WebFilterTLD.jpg

I would use a web filter rule with condition HTTP: Host

that allows you to match on the host (domain) specifically, and not the full URL which will be much easier.

those are correct. the URL matches the syntax *?.top/* matches because "/desktop/" is in the URL
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks dmorris

I updated my Rules as you suggested and it looks like it's now blocking when it should and ignoring when the string is present, but not the TLD. Here's a screenshot of my Rules and the Report if others have similar needs in the future.

Rules Example:
    WebFilter-TLDRules.jpg

Report showing Blocked TLD:
    Reporting-BlockTLD.png

I see you pulled the original suggestion from the docs, so I'm going to update the docs and remove that as that clearly has unintended behavior.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Just to clarify, my first attempt was using the Site Block List with the *?.date/* syntax. That definitely didn't work as expected. The 2nd attempt was leveraging the rules, per your suggestion with a more simplified / standard asterisk wildcard. I didn't try the *?.date/* syntax in the Rules tab...so I'm not sure if it would make a difference there.

Thanks again for your help