Master Untangler

Default New categories blocks ESXi server as "Gambling"

I'm not sure why but it's annoying.

I just thought I'd mention it.

I can provide any information that could help to fix this.

What does "blocks ESXi server" mean? What is the event?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

If I try to go to my ESXi server's home page at https://192.168.5.40 it wants me to okay the certificate...which I do.

Then I get taken to a page that says:

This page isn’t working
    192.168.1.40 didn’t send any data.
    ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

If I go into the Blocked Web Events report it says it was blocked because it was in the Web Category of Gambling.

If I uncheck the Block option on the Gambling category and save I can get to the management interface of my ESXi server without any issues.

ETA: This is over an OpenVPN connection but it worked fine until the new categories were implemented as I just updated my router a couple of days ago.
    Last edited by jlficken; 08-05-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Master Untangler

I got it figured out.

The new categories are flagging my local domain as a gambling site when I look it up in the Site Lookup tool in the Web Filter application.

ETA: To be fair I've used the same local domain name since I started using Untangle back in December and this was never a problem before the rule changes in 14.2.0 so I just added an exception for it.

I'm just sitting here in the corner wondering why you have internal traffic subject to a normal rack... that's just asking for trouble!

Get Policy Manager going, shove traffic sourced from any non-wan, and destined to any non-wan interface into it's own rack with just the firewall module in it! Save yourself the hair loss!

Your Virus Blockers are busy scanning crap from those web interfaces too! It's extra load on Untangle for no benefit!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

It's technically VPN traffic (between work and home) and I want Web Filter and other things to work for it as I hate ads.

I'm not concerned about the extra load on my hardware as I've never seen above 1.7 on the meter anyway even with a gigabit fiber connection.

Is the Untangle at home or at work? If it's at work, you can still move traffic moving from the VPN interface, to any-lan into a dedicated rack and get out of the web filter. That action will not impact any traffic going over a full tunnel and out to the Internet, that would be handled by another policy or the default policy.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I use Untangle both at home and at work but in this instance I'm using a Split-Tunnel OpenVPN connection from work to home.

I'll look into moving VPN traffic to a different rack....thanks!