Default Cisco can kiss my...

Well, I'll let you all complete that sentence up there.

This thread has little to do with Web filter other than provide some context against what Web Filter does, and in particular the issues associated with the new Brite Cloud engine issues revealed, and subsequently resolved by Untangle.

Now, I don't know when the Web Filter issue was reported, but I see a thread here started in the morning of 7-26. This same user then reports on 8-2, the issue appears resolved after a "couple days" of testing following Untangle's bug patch being deployed. So presumably, that means the issue was "resolved", around 7-31.

That's six days, total... count them... SIX DAYS. Of problematic web filter behavior, and in that six days Untangle acknowledged the problem, researched it, developed a fix for it, and started pushing that fix onto the units that need it as well as build that fix into the next release. AND if that wasn't magical enough, don't forget this is Untangle's 1.0 release for a brand new Web Filter engine, so presumably Untangle's dev teams are still relatively unfamiliar with the technology in comparison to the older zVelo filter.

So why my ire to Cisco?

I opened a ticket with Cisco Umbrella five days ago. That was Thursday the 1st. My issue? One of the IP addresses that identifies a network that requires OpenDNS filtration was no longer working. And, I couldn't add the address to my panel. And, if you've ever used OpenDNS for network based content control you know that without that address, you have no filters... none... gone...

And why? Because somewhere out there some jackhole has the wrong configuration, and his configuration somehow says he owns my IP address!

It took FIVE DAYS for Cisco to address this problem, 24 hours just to respond, after which I provided documentation from my ISP that yes, I own that address. Then they wait all weekend to get back to me, and now here we are the end of Tuesday and Cisco FINALLY goes whoops... here have your IP back.

Meanwhile, given only 24 more hours, Untangle bug fixes the Web Filter...

Yeah... Cisco takes 5 days to fix a clerical error... Untangle patches a bug in 6...

THAT is why I'm here, THAT is why I support this product, and darn it if I'm not getting too old, and too grumpy to be very tolerant of the "competition" anymore.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

You're just posting what we were all thinking!

In all seriousness, thanks for saying this. We're such a small crew, to be able to achieve a turnaround like that on an issue this big was pretty impressive even to me, in my 5th year here. I think it also shows our willingness to still experiment, too - we were the first ones to ever use that daemon. It broke, we fixed it, happily ever after, etc, etc.

Master Untangler

Cisco's ability to resolve issues have taken a downward spiral in the last decade. I think they peaked around the mid-2000's where most issues were fixed within hours... Not weeks or God-forbid, months.

I could say the same with Microsoft Premier support. They seem to be just hiring a bunch of knuckleheads these days.

To be fair though, the bigger the company, the more moving parts, the slower they tend to become... regardless of the process improvements they implement.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    To be fair though, the bigger the company, the more moving parts, the slower they tend to become... regardless of the process improvements they implement.
    You may be right. It's my anecdotal impression, though, that the bigger a company becomes, the less vital support becomes to their business model. Support is costly, so the disconnect between support, engineering, and marketing grows substantially.
    CMcNaughton likes this.

It's more than that for Cisco right now, both Meraki and OpenDNS are suffering from massive internal talent drains. Their compensation sucks, they're leaning harder and harder on their established employees and burning them out. So, with plenty of options they leave.

I know this, because I know people that work in there. So if you've seen a quality drop in the above products in the last couple years, now you know why.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

actually the initial fixes on 7-31 didn't really fix it, it was more like the 08-04 build that fixed it. So more like 10 days. But your point remains valid.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 09-19-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    actually the initial fixes on 7-31 didn't really fix it, it was more like the 08-04 build that fixed it. So more like 10 days. But your point remains valid.
    Double true now that I've got about half of my OpenDNS Umbrella agents just randomly borking themselves up such that the workstation no longer has DNS resolution. Seriously... screw OpenDNS.
    f1assistance and CMcNaughton like this.
    NexgenAppliances.com