Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by yelped View Post
    But they didn't have a show stopping bug that disabled internet if you blocked uncategorized.
    And this advances your previous observations and argument in exactly what way?

It's one thing to argue the merits of what is compared to what was. It's altogether a different thing to get snippy about a bug, even an extremely serious bug. Are we talking about the merits of the Web filter solution or are we alleging problems with the development process? Or is the point to win an argument at whatever cost?

I'm personally in on discussing the merits of the filtering solution. That seems productive. <opinion>The development process is and has always been a human endeavor suffering from human limitations, and reiterating that needlessly here seems a little dehumanizing to me.</opinion>
    f1assistance likes this.

Untangler

I actually didn't mean to be snippy. I apologize for that, though there definitely has to be more testing when it comes to rolling out changes that can break the singular most important function of a router. What needs to be done is improvements to the new backend to achieve parity and even exceed the other provider.

Quote Originally Posted by yelped View Post
    I actually didn't mean to be snippy. I apologize for that, though there definitely has to be more testing when it comes to rolling out changes that can break the singular most important function of a router. What needs to be done is improvements to the new backend to achieve parity and even exceed the other provider.
    Testing can only get you so far, Untangle had a fairly long alpha and beta stage to this rollout, and it still didn't catch the bug. I will also point out that Untangle had the situation largely mitigated inside a week from the point of failure, and it took just as much time for me to get Cisco's OpenDNS to correct a minor clerical error.

Meraki has bugs too... and those often take MONTHS to work out. And their routers can't have more than one WAN IP address! They force you into a much simpler and limited box.

I've supported both platforms, so I know there is literally no realistic way to be better here. Untangle already does more testing than most of the rest of the platforms in the industry. You want more?!?
    f1assistance and CMcNaughton like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Untangle already does more testing than most of the rest of the platforms in the industry. You want more?!?
    <offtopic>To me, this is a probable illustration of a bias toward big business solutions. It's been going on, in my personal experience, since the introduction of the IBM PC, which carried the day (or ended the era, depending on how you look at it) in the microcomputer revolution because it came bundled with corporate gravitas.

In those days I had a friend who was a PC power user, and part of our friendship was him constantly poking fun at my Atari "toy" computer. So one day I grabbed a copy of an official IBM demo program written to highlight their product's sound and graphics capabilities. I rewrote it for my toy so that on screen it looked and behaved exactly the same (I didn't bother trying to reproduce the sound exactly, since the Atari had better sound), even to the point of reproducing the relevant bits of the PC character set in the Atari's memory. I ran the demo for him one day, and his exact wide-eyed words were, "How did you do that?" Like I had used voodoo or something on my Atari to get it to do the impossible. I said, "Piece of cake. Wanna look at the code?" He never called my Atari a toy again.

The point? The little guy carries a burden of proof the established corporate entity can very often avoid. It's a thing.</offtopic>

Name recognition is a thing... I've lost a bunch of Untangle subs to Meraki over the last two years. No amount of explaining reality has saved them.

I get apology emails from some of them later, usually around the time they realize they have Cisco holding a gun to their heads... they either cough up that renewal for another year or five... or all their stuff simply stops. So they continue, regardless of their feelings about the product.

IMHO, that level of vendor lock is criminal, and should result in prosecution, but our government is broken so here we are.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Would I be correct to suggest UniFi also leverages the same 'BrightCloud' threat intelligence for its offerings?
    Last edited by f1assistance; Today at 05:46 AM.
    Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123