Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Web filter no longer blocks illegal streams from Kodi

Hi. I'm noticing that when the web filter now does not have a piracy and copyright theft )block and flag) tab for blocking illegal streams from Kodi and other such applications. So now when people on my network go to resolve the hosts they won't be blocked and I can't block them because they have now been moved to streaming media which is in the main category for apps such as Netflix Hulu Amazon and every other main streaming provider out there. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?? Btw I miss the old web filter had more categories.
    theoak likes this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by kmjsmith View Post
    Btw I miss the old web filter had more categories.
    Agreed, Zvelo was much more granular. The broad categories in BrightCloud are much more difficult to manage.
    theoak likes this.

Ooh, this is gonna be big for me when I go to upgrade next month. As a higher ed institution, I have a legal mandate which requires me to "develop plans to detect and prevent unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material over campus networks."

Showing that box was checked on all racks was part of my annual compliance audit. It's also interesting the law doesn't technically require me to implement the plan... only that I develop it. But if that category goes away, I have to develop a new plan. Which is annoying, and may require a new product.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 08-28-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.1.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

Overall, in my experience, Brightcloud is *vastly* inferior to Zvelo. We spent a lot of time reporting miscategorized sites, and as pointed out the categories itself are not as granular. The other provider was more effective, too.

Discerning admins can only imagine today the difference of an effective threat detection engine and a convenient risk management tool...the two completely different means. We must expect (and accept) convenience an ever eluding endeavor always to be intentionally frustrated. Our digital landscape becoming dynamic on an impossible scale with our privilege slowly and calculatedly being withdrawn by others. While a potent threat detection employs collective intelligence (out of our control) deployed to recognize and ascertain imperceptible impressions, the other is our ability of choice to apply its identification(s) to best defend aginst our perceived risk(s). Today's binary patterns emerge beyond normal cognition and almost force an imaginary visualization of a savant to appreciate. This noble battle is being lost, because WE admins are rapidly becoming the security apparatus's weakest link as witnessed in this thread. The war lost the second the decision was made to allow an unidentified enemy within the gates. #gobbledygook
    Wake up, Neo...
    The Smart Grid has you...
    Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Untangler

Overall, I am very disappointed with Untangle's business decision here. I feel like they went cheap to save a few dollars but they will lose customers over this. Our customers have had many issues now, when we haven't had a single issue previously. Some of our customers have already moved to Meraki over this. Besides that the categories are not as granular, and hundreds of sites are miscategorized, the filter itself is not as effective. For example, YouTube was always blocked beautifully if streaming video was blocked. Now, you can load any page you want if you click through a search engine, and from there click on any video, and you could view everything besides the actual video. The thumbnails, comments, even the thumbnails that appear when you mouse over the slider. You have to manually block the CDN that loads Youtube in order to effectively block it. This was never an issue previously.

I hope that Untangle reverts to the old provider, because otherwise we will have to move our customers over to other solutions as we have a reputation to defend.

Master Untangler

So as with everything in life nothing is perfect. I assume you are using something else that is also missing the content you want to block. If not well maybe it is time for another layer or two of protection.

Did you create a feature request so others can vote for going back to the way it was? It probably won't over ride the bean counters but might put pressure on them.

The problem is we don't have the next feature yet...

The new web filter has an IP reputation score, which will be available in a future release to do some seriously magical stuff. In the meantime... it feels like a downgrade because it's "worse" but with "more potential".
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Greater is the threat of risk unimagined. Can we truly fathom the makeup of the collective intelligence advantaged within our perimeter traffic management/inspection appliance(s)? Let's pray not and simply admit we don't know what we don't know, acknowledging we must trust in a 3rd party...with that said, yesterday and today I've invested my efforts and trust in Untangle's competent deliberations to make a choice with their and the community's idea of effective efficiency to hunt what I cannot perceive, allowing us, IMHO, a cost effective sentinel, provided me and my clients! If admins are feeling a little disheartened today, stay tuned, there will be plenty of frustration to go around as all similar security instruments begin to collapse and evolve under the immense weight of our attempt to do the impossible. This ain't your pappy's firewall! D'oh!

"What’s the Difference Between AI, ML, Deep Learning, and Active Learning?"
    https://tinyurl.com/yymtv747
    Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The problem is we don't have the next feature yet....
    This is worse than vapor ware. What ever happened to it will be released when it is ready?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast