Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Unsure why foldingathome.org is being blocked

I started running foldingathome (FAH) to run work units on my graphics card to help find a covid-19 cure.

I am running Manjaro Linux. I noticed recently that when I wasn't running a (non-Unstangle-related) vpn on my system, I was receiving errors when FAH was trying to look for more work units (expected XXX bytes but received 0). FAH tries to get work from assign1.foldingathome.org (and assign2, 3, and 4). When I run a vpn on the same machine as FAH, FAH gets work units just fine.

That got me thinking that Untangle was somehow flagging FAH traffic and blocking the requests (the vpn hides the traffic from Untangle, which is why it works with the vpn running). In Untangle, I turned off Virus scanning. No change. Turned off the firewall. No change. Turned off Web Filter. Change! Something in the Web Filter is apparently blocking traffic destined foldingathome.org.

I added a "Pass Site" of *foldingathome.org*, turned Web Filter back on, and it still works.

If I run a Site Lookup for foldingathome.org, it shows up as "Health and Medicine". I don't have that category blocked.

I'm happy that I have foldingathome working again, but not happy that I don't understand why it was blocked in the first place.

I did upgrade Untangle to 15.1 a few days ago, but I don't know if that coincided with foldingathome not working.

Thoughts?
    Untangle 15.1.0
    Protectli "Vault" Firewall Micro Appliance
    Intel J1900, 120GB mSata, 8GB RAM, 4 x Intel NICs

Master Untangler

Ran FAH for about a month, until I saw my electricity bill from 3 PCs crunching 24x7. That's when I decided to stop.

But to the problem at hand, I didn't run into that. All my results seems to go through and properly reported on my team stats.

Check your Web Filter logs to see which category is blocking it.

Maybe doing a Site Lookup can help. When I lookup "foldingathome.org", it's categorized as "Health and Medicine".

It might have something to do with the upgrade, but I think it's probably got more to do with a random DNS fluke.

If you crack open the settings of Web Filter, and jump into the advanced tab down at the bottom is a Clear Category URL Cache button. Every once in a while, I'll get an Untangle that's flagging something inappropriately, and that button clears it up.

DNS is flaky sometimes, and when you run a content control system on it, this sort of thing happens from time to time. And to naturally clear the entry, you need to not use a given domain long enough for the cache to clear. This poses problems for things like FAH when it's running continuously, constantly refreshing bad information. That's why we have that button.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-28-2020 at 06:51 AM.
    ctaranto likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Ran FAH for about a month, until I saw my electricity bill from 3 PCs crunching 24x7. That's when I decided to stop.

But to the problem at hand, I didn't run into that. All my results seems to go through and properly reported on my team stats.

Maybe doing a Site Lookup can help. When I lookup "foldingathome.org", it's categorized as "Health and Medicine".
    Got to agree there sadly, i7-49..k + Nvidia 1660 Super =

I still contribute from time to time, but sadly not as much now. I have no problems with the Folding@home application on Windows 10 with Untangle, but my config is still fairly basic as I'm back and forth between Sophos XG. Playing, trying to decide and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    It might have something to do with the upgrade, but I think it's probably got more to do with a random DNS fluke.

If you crack open the settings of Web Filter, and jump into the advanced tab down at the bottom is a Clear Category URL Cache button. Every once in a while, I'll get an Untangle that's flagging something in appropriately, and that button clears it up.

DNS is flaky sometimes, and when you run a content control system on it, this sort of thing happens from time to time. And to naturally clear the entry, you need to not use a given domain long enough for the cache to clear. This poses problems for things like FAH when it's running continuously, constantly refreshing bad information. That's why we have that button.
    Thanks! I found the button and will experiment with using it and removing the Pass Site hopefully this weekend.
    Untangle 15.1.0

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

Thanks.

This "PC" is always on regardless and I set up folding to only use the GPU. At idle, the GPU is consuming 10 watts. At full fold, it's consuming 110 watts. I can afford the equivalent of a 100 watt light bulb that's on 24/7.

As mentioned, I also receive the same cateogory as you. I followed sky-knight's recommendation and will see what happens.
    Last edited by ctaranto; 05-28-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    Untangle 15.1.0

Untangler

If clearing the cache doesn't resolve the issue, you will want to use the web filter report to see how that was categorized at the time. Although I don't think that will be necessary if a live lookup of the url shows the correct category.
    Keep in mind that https://foldingathome.org can be categorized differently than www.foldingathome.org and https://www.foldingathome.org, and so on. That is when reports come in handy!
    Jim.Alles and CMcNaughton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tcurtis View Post
    If clearing the cache doesn't resolve the issue, you will want to use the web filter report to see how that was categorized at the time. Although I don't think that will be necessary if a live lookup of the url shows the correct category.
    Keep in mind that https://foldingathome.org can be categorized differently than www.foldingathome.org and https://www.foldingathome.org, and so on. That is when reports come in handy!
    Interestingly, I found the events in the Web Filter reports, but they were categorized properly and were neither flagged or blocked. They also fell into "no rules applied" (up until I added a Pass Site, and now they are falling to "Pass Sites").

It's still working and I'll leave it as a Pass Site, but I am still wondering what's going on internally that I can't see from the report.
    Untangle 15.1.0

You need to look at the block events, because if Web Filter shows it blocked, it's blocking it. You're filtering based on what you think is the domain being controlled, and you need to instead look at everything from that IP address.

Because yes, it's blocking... why? Well you need to find the block that matters to answer that.

The pass site directive passes far more than you think it does...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    You need to look at the block events, because if Web Filter shows it blocked, it's blocking it. You're filtering based on what you think is the domain being controlled, and you need to instead look at everything from that IP address.

Because yes, it's blocking... why? Well you need to find the block that matters to answer that.

The pass site directive passes far more than you think it does...
    I should have been more clear. I was looking at all events during the timeframe in question. When searching for blocked events (no filters other than the timeframe), there are no records of a blocked event.

I'll need to experiment with this more, as this isn't making much sense.
    Untangle 15.1.0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast