Untangler

Default Any Need for Client Web Shield

Hi all. Apologies if this has been asked before; I did search, but didn't see any obvious threads. If one is using the Web Filter in Untangle, is there any benefit to clients running a web shield? I imagine client file shields still prove useful in case someone plugs in an infected USB drive, but not seeing a benefit to using a web shield.

Master Untangler

That will depend quite a bit on whether you use SSL inspector and have your clients configured to work with it. Without SSL inspector's ability to crack open encrypted web traffic, web filter can only rely on the reputation of the URL domain, it cannot interpret the full URL and it cannot inspect the content.

A browser plugin had more possibilities there, though some standalone web filter software may also just install a trusted certificate to crack open the SSL traffic.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by tangofan View Post
    A browser plugin had more possibilities there, though some standalone web filter software may also just install a trusted certificate to crack open the SSL traffic.
    I believe that's all web shields like Avast and AVG do in order to look at the traffic; however, they also engage in data collection. I know SSL Inspector can be challenging, but seems using the Web Filter in Untangle may be a better way to go.

I just use Ad Blockers in the browser and SNI controls on Web Filter. I don't care about SSL Inspector, yes it helps but not enough to justify the work it creates.

And Web Shield? As in Avast? Also, you should be aware, AVG no longer exists, it's just Avast now... same product, different branding. And you're a brave soul to use either in production anywhere, they're notorious for eating Windows 10 installs during feature updates.

If that wasn't enough you have crap like this: https://www.safetydetectives.com/blo...ing-avast-avg/

Use Avast or AVG at your own peril. Again, same company, same product, different branding.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I just use Ad Blockers in the browser and SNI controls on Web Filter. I don't care about SSL Inspector, yes it helps but not enough to justify the work it creates.

And Web Shield? As in Avast? Also, you should be aware, AVG no longer exists, it's just Avast now... same product, different branding. And you're a brave soul to use either in production anywhere, they're notorious for eating Windows 10 installs during feature updates.

If that wasn't enough you have crap like this: https://www.safetydetectives.com/blo...ing-avast-avg/

Use Avast or AVG at your own peril. Again, same company, same product, different branding.
    Thanks. I only use SSL Inspection on search items and have a rule to ignore everything else which works fine. I actually don't use Avast or AVG; were just names I recall and wasn't sure if they offer any benefit. Sounds like I have it right then sticking with extensions such as uBlock and using the Web Filter in Untangle. For file scanning, I find using the built-in Defender is usually fine as a 2nd Line of defense; I don't have a good solution for file scanning on Macs so would welcome suggestions, but it proves less of a problem on Macs.
    Last edited by rnatalli; 08-06-2020 at 12:59 PM.

That's where I've been, Windows Defender + UBlock + Web Filter creates enough layers to keep out the malware for me.

I've had too many issues with 3rd party AV blowing up units on feature update, and since we have to do that twice a year that's a problem on the Windows side.

But then again here we are... August 2020, and the April 2020 update for Windows 10 (2004) isn't even rolled out uniformly yet. I have a sneaking suspicion most of my equipment is going to jump directly to 2009 or whatever they call the Fall release this year when the time comes.

Most modern malware are trojans that evade scanners anyway, so you're better off training people to not click on attachments and links in email, using web filters and spam filters to defend the end points anyway. 3rd party scanners don't have a terribly good track record of picking up these things in a timely way, given a new one is made with a kit tomorrow. There ARE products that work, but they are terribly expensive and I don't recommend them unless you're running something that needs that protection, like a financial network.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

That's where I've been, Windows Defender + UBlock + Web Filter creates enough layers to keep out the malware for me.
    Any thoughts as to file scanning on a Mac? There's always the off chance someone plugs in an infected USB into a Mac on a network.

Quote Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
    Any thoughts as to file scanning on a Mac? There's always the off chance someone plugs in an infected USB into a Mac on a network.
    Nope, I don't do Mac very often and when I do the users generally have that sorted out for me.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Nope, I don't do Mac very often and when I do the users generally have that sorted out for me.
    Thanks. Thought I would ask.